Question regarding the Calibration ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarsalan2006, Jun 28, 2009.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

Hey guys, so im on my last step, where im suppossed to use the battery until it goes to sleep automatically, after this step, i have to let the laptop sleep for 5 hours or more, after that when i have to plug in my laptop, can i use it while charging ? or i have to wait till its fully charged ?
    Thanks

2. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

You can use it while its charging. Thats what I always do when I do that step in the calibration of the battery.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This isn't quite the exact science you're making it out to be. It's fine to plug it back in after it goes to sleep (no need to wait 5 hours) and if you want to be particular, leave it alone while it charges, but it really won't matter enough to make any difference.

5. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

what about the 5 hours before that last step ?
    what if it will be more than 5 hours, lets say 8 hours ?

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

It will probably power off if you wait that long. Not really a problem, its just not necessary.

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Actually I believe the 5 hours after forced sleep is necessary, because the computer needs to calibrate also how much "reserve" power it has before hibernating (I think Apple calls this "safe sleep").

When I calibrated m battery I let it run all the way down, then 5hrs after sleep, and then let it fully charge overnight without using it. When I turned it on again after fully charging, it restored from hibernation not just standard sleep indicating that 5 hours was necessary to drain the battery down from regular sleep to safe-sleep mode.

If you read apple's website it specifically states that for intel-based laptops you need this extra 5 hours of post-sleep discharge, so I'd say in order to really convince yourself you did it correctly, let it go that extra 5 hours.

Ruahrc