Question regarding the June 2007 MBP Videocard failure..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peppermints, Jun 9, 2009.

1. peppermints macrumors newbie

I recently came home to a scalding hot Macbook Pro. I had closed it completely before I left to work, so this was a surprise. I open the computer and there's no video. I shake the mouse all around, hoping to wake it up, but no luck. I reboot, everything works fine except, of course, the video.

My diagnosis was that my video card had finally bit the dust, which made sense given the reports of Apple extending the warranties for those affected and the symptoms I had.

So today I took my MBP to the nearest authorized Apple retail place since it was closer than an Apple Store, hoping that they would confirm my suspicions. They ran a diagnostics test and called me back this evening, saying it was the logic board that had failed and would cost over $800 to repair.

Now, it's my understanding that the video card is part of the logic board and you can't replace the video card without replacing the logic board. Is it possible that they have overlooked the fact that it was in fact the video card and only the video card that failed? If so, I would still be under warranty for it because it has only been a little over two years since I purchased mine and the warranty is three years from purchase date.

I just feel as if there's something they're not telling me and I want to be sure before I make any decisions.

Thanks guys.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What your proposing about the GPU is completely plausible. On the other hand, the heat could have damaged the logic board in another way.

If you goto an Apple store, they have a diagnostic they can run to see if the GPU is shot, but if it's the whole logic board, that may complicate the issue.

3. peppermints thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on going to the store with a print out of the report on Apple's website about the video card defect. Hoping that is the problem and they weren't aware of the extended warranty on it.

If that fails then I'm hoping to sell it on Ebay for part salvaging. Any idea how much should I ask for it?

4. peppermints thread starter macrumors newbie