Question regarding the many SMS applications on the app store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nihao1234, Aug 10, 2009.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

As a poor student, I must sacrifice a lot to pay for my iPhone bill each month-however, I use it all the time and I get SO MUCH enjoyment out of it. However, the one thing I hate is in regard to the text messaging plans.

We're already paying $30 a month, why can't texts just be included? And, the plan I'm on now $5 for 200 is WAY too small an amount for me-I've already gone over it multiple times. The next step up is $15 for 1,500, and that is too too much to add onto an already skyrocketing bill.

So, I couldn't help but notice the many free SMS apps on the app store. How exactly do they work?

Are there any that let you keep your cell phone number that you use on AT&T in their messaging programs, so you don't have to tell everyone a new number assigned to you by an app? I have no problem paying for it if such a thing exists.

Thanks a lot!

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I can't speak too much about which of those apps are the best, you'll probably have to do some searching. I do know that NONE of them display your cell number as the From: adress. If this were possible then everyone would use this instead of the built in SMS app. Honestly most of my friends have either an iPhone or a BB, so most of the time we just message each other through AIM or Gchat, because that just uses your data plan.