Question regarding the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aooga12, Jul 15, 2012.

1. aooga12 macrumors member

I'm about to buy the new iPad 64gb wifi model but i'm very hesitant because of the reported charging and overheating issues.

My question is have these been addressed and/or fixed? I'd like to buy one before classes start in August so I don't think I can wait for the next one.

And another thing, when I do go to purchase this tablet, is there anyway to avoid sales tax by shopping online? apple.com's estimating a $40 tax which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

2. dkersten macrumors 6502a

If you order on Amazon, you should be able to skip taxes. However I'm assuming you're using the education store if you want it for classes in the fall. If you do, you will receive a $50 gift card (I think) for apps, music, movies, etc. I'm fairly certain that Amazon doesn't have a promotion like that though.

As for the overheating, I've had the iPad since launch and while it does run hot, its nothing to be overly concerned with. I think real overheating problems only occurred on a very small percentage of the iPads. And while it does take awhile to charge, that is not something that can be fixed as it is just the size of the battery that is needed to power the retina display. Nothing that can be done there.

3. aooga12 thread starter macrumors member

oh ok, well... did they at least fix the issue where it shows that the device hasn't reached capacity of a full charge in iOS?

4. -TYLER macrumors regular

It does that on purpose, once it gets to a certain percentage the charge slows down, and at 100% I believe it trickles down a little more as well, this is to prevent from overcharging.

Not sure how long it takes for the iPad 3 to charge, my 2 takes about 2.5 hours.