Question regarding the pending OS update

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportdan31, Jul 6, 2011.

1. sportdan31 macrumors member

I have a five plus year old iMac PowerPc G5 which still runs rather well. I don't necessarily have a need to purchase a new computer as I use my iPad 98 percent of the time while at home. The iMac as you can imagine is not compatible with my iPad 2. When the new iOS upgrade becomes available in the fall along with subsequent updates, will I need to still connect the iPad to the computer via a USB cable? Or am I correct in assuming that I'll be able to get new updates wirelessly starting in the fall?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

you need ios5 to do anything wirelessly, as 4.3.3 can't and doesnt have that functionality. So yes, you'll need to tether it to your mac for ios5, after that youll have wireless over the air updates

3. sportdan31 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. Can I simply use my wife's HP laptop to upgrade to iOS 5 or I can go in to the Apple Store and update there?

At this point, I really do not have a desire for a new iMac or Macbook. I'd like to avoid the costs.

4. JeepGuy macrumors regular

you can use your wife's laptop to upgrade.

5. ios8 macrumors newbie

Yes you can use your wife's hp laptop, as long as she has itunes installed and make sure you do a full back on her laptop before upgrading the ios. :)