Question regarding the power adapter replacement program

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ideal.dreams, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have a mid-2009 17" MacBook pro and it has the "t style" adapter. It is currently showing no signs of fraying. I called apple and they said they would be able to replace it for free, they would just put a hold on my card for the amount it'd cost to replace it and then the hold would be taken off once they receive my old charger.

My question is - if I send my power adapter back with no signs of fraying, do you think they will charge me? I don't want to wait until my adapter actually frays because my luck, by then they won't be offereing to replace them for free anymore.

Advice?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you told Apple it wasn't fraying yet and they still agreed to a free replacement, go ahead with it.

About Apple's Adapter Replacement Program -- U.S. only

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, according to the article I linked, the free replacement only applies to adapters that are showing signs of strain.
    Also:

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What if I made it fray? They said they would replace it for me so I'm not concerned about that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the link I posted? It's pretty clear about that.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

just quite whining and get it replaced.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one is whining, and Apple won't replace it free if it's not showing signs of strain. :rolleyes:

9. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

So you think it'd be a bad idea to cause strain on it? Like I said, I'd like to get the replacement one while they're still offering them for free. My luck my adapter will begin to fray right after the program ends.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't seen anything that indicates the program is ending.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I hope they read this and ban you from buying Apple products in the future! Stupid attempt at getting free stuff!

That reminds me... I should try to fry my Nvidia 8600 GT CPU two more times within the next 6 month, so it falls under the three failed repairs rule and I get a brand new 17'' MBP.

12. onions macrumors member

i went to the apple store today and miraculously got a genius bar appointment for the same day. i had two power adapters and my wife's old mbp. they replaced the power adapters for free, no questions asked. one was fraying badly, and one was not. took all of 10 minutes once my appointment time came. easy enough to do it in person if you have a store near you.

13. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The macrumors article says it ends three years after the MacBook purchase date or march 2012, which ever is sooner.

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

Actually, straight from the class action settlement email:

To claim a cash payment, you must mail the claim form postmarked on or before March 21, 2012. To obtain a Replacement Adapter, you must contact Apple within three years from the date you purchased a Subject Computer or standalone Adapter, or May 21, 2012, whichever is later; no claim form is required.

- And note cash payments are reimbursements (of sorts) for buying one that needed replacement due to strain relief splitting. You either get cash or get a new one.

15. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Same thing here. Made appointment last night, seen first thing this morning. Got my new adapter no questions asked. Also brought in a wireless keyboard that had a key fall off, replaced with a new in the box right from the shelf. It was out of warranty, but no charge! Love Apple!!!!

16. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Unfortunately I don't have an Apple store near by so taking it in isn't an option. Now that we have established that there is in fact a deadline, would anyone recommend actually causing strain to the power adapter? Like I said, I don't want to have this program end and then my adapter start to fray.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

No. Seriously, you want people to recommend that you break it so you get a free replacement? It's one thing if you tell them that it's not broken but you're concerned about it and they decide to be nice and replace it. It's something else to purposefully damage something in order to get the manufacturer to provide you with a free replacement. Posts like this drive me crazy and really make me wonder about people in general.

Cue the "you're acting all righteous and I'm sure you've never done anything wrong" accusers in 3...2...1...

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Wrap it around your neck and start pulling. If it frays, you get a new one. If it doesn't... well, RIP.

19. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Why don't you try that out for me? Hopefully we won't hear anything back.

I'll call apple and see if they'll replace it regardless of whether it's fraying or not. Thanks for the advice guys.

20. malman89 macrumors 68000

No. It's only faulty if it frays. If it doesn't fray, it's not faulty and you don't need nor deserve a replacement. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Honestly knowing Apple, if the thing does start to fray after May 2012, I bet you could be persistent enough to get a new one. Ridiculous question, especially with 5 months left in the program.