Question regarding Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CrackedButter, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Does anybody here use 2 hard drives at the same time to make Time Machine backups? Say for example daisy chaining 2 firewire drives but not so they back each other up, but backing up the main drive on say the laptop?

Does anybody have this setup or know if it can be done or do you just have 2 Time Machine drives that need to be regularly swapped in order to do the job?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If I'm not mistaken, you'd need two hard drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration to achieve what you're looking for. Time Machine can only back up to one target disk at a time, so you'll be looking at switching between the two for every backup you do. A RAID 1 setup will do that automatically since they'll be seen as one drive by TM, yet contain identical information on both drives.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay that sounds great thanks. But what it still be effective if both disks are different sizes? I have a 320GB now and want to buy a 500GB drive. Of course one will fill up faster than the other. What happens then?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I've read in forums, it seems that it's fine but you will be limited to the smaller size. So you'll only have 320 GB total and you won't be able to use the rest of the 500 GB drive.

5. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I have done this before at my work. The best way, if not the only way (not sure), is to set it up with a RAID configuration and Time Machine will recognize the one drive. It is very easy to do. Just use Disk Utility to set up the RAID and Time Machine will recognize it.

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

This is all very educational and quite sad as I need the extra capacity of the larger drive, methinks I'm going to have to buy 2 of them to be totally safe with my data. Thanks again.

7. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Honestly, a 500GB drive dedicated to Time Machine should be plenty and will last you a while, assuming your Macs HDD (or SSD?) is a reasonable size. You should be fine!! :)

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think he is more concerned with duplicity. If I understand correctly, the OP would like to have two backups in case one fails. It makes sense that it would be limited to the smaller of the drives since if you exceed the 320GB, the smaller drive won't be able to store additional data. I agree that your best bet's getting the two 500GB. You can keep the 320GB in an enclosure and use for mobile storage or something.

9. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I agree, however I was just suggesting. Btw, if those are internal drives, may I suggest a NAS enclosure? It might make your life easier. With a NAS that connects via USB to your Mac (for Time Machine) will give you a lot more features and options in regard to connectivity and overall drive setup options.

10. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The thing is I like to be hard to myself. I don't want multiple cables running from my laptop. At the moment all I have is a Freecom ToughDrive as my TM, it runs solely off the firewire port. Daisy chaining them would be great for me and now I have a better understanding of what I need to do, I can buy 2, 2.5" 500GB drives, stuff them into Macally enclosures and run both my backups off that 1 cable.

I know its easier to buy a Drobo or any other type of NAS enclosure but I just don't have the space for such a device where I live. Thanks again.

11. Slowstick macrumors 6502

No problem and good luck!!!:D:D

12. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

But thanks again for all the help. I've a little hole in my credit card now :(, but it will be worth it :).

13. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

For those interested, I've got the first 500GB drive and there is a picture of the Macally enclosure on my blog. I have 2 drives totaling 820GB's running off 1 FW400 cable, yum!