Question regarding to MBA 2013 128G using Blackmagic disk speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by carterw, Oct 23, 2013.

1. carterw macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I have just bought my MBA 2013 with 128G SD SSD, and i tested its SSD speed by using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and below attachment is what i got from result.

mobile01-bbe65b8092d44edc88c935aca50c65a5.jpg

May I ask if everyone get the same result as mine, especially on the one marked with red x. is it normal?

Appreciated for your help and hope you all have a nice day.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Perfectly normal numbers for that machine. I assume you don't have FileVault2 enabled?

3. carterw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for your feedback, I have no idea what is FileVault2, actually i just wanna know if the red cross is normal or everyone is getting green?:confused:

4. jdechko, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

jdechko macrumors 68040

FileVault is whole disk encryption. It means that my data is safe, and can't be read without my password. If you travel around with your laptop a lot, or have some sensitive data (even tax returns), it's a good idea to turn on.

However, it does affect the performance of the drive somewhat. The difference in the numbers may look big, but in reality, the hit is negligible.

[​IMG]

In all honesty, though, the speed test results are pretty much meaningless. Benchmarks only give a theoretical approximation of performance. They allow you to compare 2 things against a common set of instructions. This benchmark is from Blackmagic, a company that makes video capture devices. It's designed to test whether a disk or array of disks is capable of capturing video at High resolutions. The red "x" is letting you know that the disk isn't capable of capturing 1080p60 video in real time.

5. carterw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx a lot, the thing is my fd is using same equip as me, but he is getting a green at 1080p60. So i dont know if i should change a new sys. Is this software trustworthy?

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

There's nothing wrong with the software. If you're not going to be capturing 1080p60 video on the internal SSD, then I wouldn't bother with a new machine.

7. devon4786 macrumors newbie

Hi, quick question. When I first installed my Samsung 840 Pro SSD in my MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012, all the green ticks were there. However now my read and write speeds have decreased and there are a LOT of red X's in Blackmagic Speed Test. Any suggestions?

8. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Why not create a new thread for this instead of refreshing a 2013 thread?

To answer your question though, It sounds like you do not have TRIM enabled. You will have to install drivers from the Samsung website.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

And while you're at it, create the new thread in the MacBook Pro forum - you have posted this in the MacBook Air forum. :)