Question Regarding Transferring Music from iTouch to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fredrickyoon, Apr 9, 2008.

1. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I used to have a MacBook Pro (17 inch 2.6 GHz) which I purchased on 01/17/08, and have sold it away and upgraded to the same exact model, but with the Penryn processor and multi touch. I forgot to transfer my data from my old MacBook Pro to this new one, not a big deal, but I only had music/video from iTunes, and photos from iPhoto.

The photos, I have them all on my digital camera and can upload them again, but all of my music from iTunes is on my iTouch (32 GB model).

Is there a way for me to transfer the music from my iTouch to this new MacBook Pro?

What steps would I need to take? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I refuse to help people who call it "iTouch".

3. fredrickyoon thread starter macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

How about if I call it the iPod Touch then?

Any help? :)

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

thank you.

you had to back up a DVD (or cd, you just had to make more) than restore from backup, there is no way (currently, and FREE) to do backwards transfers of the ipod touch

5. brandonzar macrumors regular

touch transfer

I had a similar problem and I downloaded a program called "ImTOO ipod computer transfer." It comes free as a trial, but only does 500 songs on the free trial, but after I deleted the program and reinstalled it, it let me do it again
    so I just did that a few times to get all of my music. I don't have a very large collection.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're wrong.

Anyways, to the original poster: Thank you for calling it an iPod touch.

There is a great utility out there called MegaPhone (It used to be called iPhoneDrive). Anyways, it can transfer music or videos or photos from your iPod touch to your computer... and it also keeps the music meta-data and everything. It's not freeware but, it's very cheap shareware and I would recommend purchasing it because it can save you a lot of time... also, you can even read/write to your notes, as well as store files in the /mobile/Media section of your iPod touch. Check it out.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/megaphone/

7. fredrickyoon thread starter macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Thanks for the link. Just purchased it and will try later tonight. Quick question, is it fairly easy to use to transfer all of the music from my iPod Touch to my MacBook Pro? It's roughly about 22 gigs or so. How long should that take?

Thanks for helping me out here.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

woah, chill, by that i was refering to free programs. not ones you had to pay for.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's very easy, just select all the songs from the "Music" section and drag them to a folder on your hard drive.... very easy. It will take a while since 22GB is a lot and the iPod touch file transfers are painfully slow. Just let it be and let it copy all of your music back.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Saying "You're wrong." is not me freaking out... I simply was telling you that you had the wrong info in your post. I've noticed that since then you've edited your post to include (currently and FREE). What is it with people wanting EVERYTHING for free now-a-days. Don't you realize that not everything is free and if he wants his music back bad enough, he'll pay the SMALL fee and enjoy a wonderful piece of software. MegaPhone works really well and in my opinion, it's the BEST at what it does. So don't knock shareware and pay for some software sometimes.... it helps the developers make it better.

Edit: You should also note that the original poster did not say "Is there a free way to get my music back from my iPod to my computer"

11. fredrickyoon thread starter macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

:)
    I completely agree with ya. Not everything is free, it's these small fees that we pay that enable such great programs to exist. :)

12. preto macrumors newbie

I did a google search and found this post on how to transfer music from my iPod Touch to my G5. After reading this, I purchased the shareware mentioned (now call PhoneView) and it is great. Easy to use and well worth the minimal price.

I noticed, however, when I tried to use PhoneView with my very old iPod (one of the originals), the device was not recognized. Is there a way around this or another program I must get?

Thanks.

13. jampat macrumors 6502a

I just transfered 20 gigs or so the other day. It is something like 2 hours +/-, not a huge deal, but definitely not instant. Good luck.

14. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

15. preto macrumors newbie

Are you saying it should work even with the old ipod?
    PhoneView does not immediately come on when I connect this older ipod (like it does when I connected my ipod Touch) and then when I click on PhoneView it says no device detected.

16. greenperson macrumors newbie

question about transferring music to mac

Recently my old MacBook crashed and I lost everything. However, I did have most of my music on my iPod touch, so I bought the program Lenogo iPhone to PC Mac transfer to transfer those music files over to my new MacBook Pro. However, when I open the program and select music to copy, the program sometimes copies one of the highlighted songs but the song isn't really there, and the program freezes. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix it? Their support website is empty and their email box is full.

17. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

there are trials of senuti now if i remember correctly. so its justa one time transfer so just get the trial.