question regarding two wires from my car audio console

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ospasha, Jun 5, 2010.

1. ospasha macrumors newbie

I bought a used mazda 6 and there is two wires coming out from the audio console, the dealer didnt know what r they for, so if anyone can tell me what r they for and can i use them to connect my iphone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. troop231 macrumors 603

The first pic is an antenna connector for a head unit, most likely your car is equipped with a satellite radio antenna on the car somewhere; and the 2nd pic might supply power to the head unit or something along that line.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

One is antenna and one is power. Most likely the previous owner had a CB or satelite radio on the car.

4. ospasha thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i didnt know that, and do u know if the two wires can be used for something else other than the head unit

thanks btw for the info

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Yeah, both wires can be used for whatever you like, and no problem.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, they can't be used for whatever he likes. The first one is either a satellite radio or GPS antenna. Probably satellite by the looks of it, so it could only be used with a satellite radio. Second is a power plug of some sort. My guess is that the previous owner had an externally mounted satellite radio somewhere, like this one for example and removed the radio but not the wires.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You need to determine what type of antenna it is. You should see the antenna mounted on the car somewhere. Check the trunk lid.

The power tip probably won't fit just any device.

Satellite or GPS is most likely.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thinking about it, my hunch is satellite, because the power connector closely matches the power connector on the Sirius radio I installed in my mom's car. GPS units usually either use mini USB or a big proprietary connector for power; I don't think I've ever seen a GPS use a round plug like that. Those wires were most likely a pair going to the same device.

Also, if it were a portable GPS, it would likely not need an external antenna anyways. If the antenna was for an in-dash GPS, the connector probably wouldn't be sticking out like that.

OP, does your car have an AUX in connector anywhere? I know my dad's 2009 Mazda 3 has one in the center console.

9. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

I'm 99% sure that is for Sirius radio. The first one is the antenna and the 2nd is for power.

10. troop231 macrumors 603

Actually, it can :rolleyes: Maybe you have no soldering skills, but he can change the plugs if he wants to.