Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ok3wire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I've preordered the new 3GS iPhone and am patiently( :) ) waiting along with everyone else. I've long been an AT&T wireless customer and my 1st gen phone has never been hacked or jailbroken in any way. I have a couple of questions regarding the switchover:

1) Will the new phone come with a new SIM card, or will I just swap out the card from old 1st gen iPhone?

2) If some catastrophe were to befall my new iPhone, but the SIM card was undamaged, would I be able to pop the SIM card into my old phone and immediately have phone service?

3) If the answer to question number 2 is a yes, then is there any reason I couldn't swap the SIM card between the phones at will, as often as I wish?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I've preordered the new 3GS iPhone and am patiently( :) ) waiting along with everyone else. I've long been an AT&T wireless customer and my 1st gen phone has never been hacked or jailbroken in any way. I have a couple of questions regarding the switchover:

1) Will the new phone come with a new SIM card, or will I just swap out the card from old 1st gen iPhone?

Yes, and activation will move your service to the new SIM, and the old one will be deactivate, but can be reactivated for a new account.

2) If some catastrophe were to befall my new iPhone, but the SIM card was undamaged, would I be able to pop the SIM card into my old phone and immediately have phone service?

Yes, because your old iPhone was activated in iTunes, it should work. It would also work with any unlocked phone or phone for your carrier. I still use my V180 from time to time because it is safer than using my iPhone in some places.

3) If the answer to question number 2 is a yes, then is there any reason I couldn't swap the SIM card between the phones at will, as often as I wish?

Nothing preventing it, as I said like I do with my V180.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.