Question Regarding Verizon Activation

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I ordered two iPhone X's. One for myself and another for my Mother. I used my line to get the iPhone X for me (paid full price) but for my Mother's phone I used my Wife's line, as she didn't care to upgrade. I paid full price for both phones, but since the Unlocked, Non-Carrier phone wasn't available to order I had to use a Verizon line for each...

My Mother is not on our plan, but I didn't have the information for her Verizon account (this is a surprise) so I had to use my Wife's line. When the phone arrives on Friday, will it be tied to my Wife's number now that I used her line for the phone? I don't want my Wife's phone t get shut off when we power on the new phone for my Mother.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
I don't believe so. I originally bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus on my line which I paid for in full but gave it to a friend and my line is still open obviously. I would assume the same will true with the iPhone.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Okay, thanks. I'm not worried about them closing her line, more worried about when the phone powers on to be activated it activating on my wife's line on the phone to where we would have to call Verizon to reconfigure basically.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I ordered two iPhone X's. One for myself and another for my Mother. I used my line to get the iPhone X for me (paid full price) but for my Mother's phone I used my Wife's line, as she didn't care to upgrade. I paid full price for both phones, but since the Unlocked, Non-Carrier phone wasn't available to order I had to use a Verizon line for each...

My Mother is not on our plan, but I didn't have the information for her Verizon account (this is a surprise) so I had to use my Wife's line. When the phone arrives on Friday, will it be tied to my Wife's number now that I used her line for the phone? I don't want my Wife's phone t get shut off when we power on the new phone for my Mother.
Just make sure to remove the new SIM from the new iPhone 10 that your mother is going to be using. That nano-SIM is already "Parked" on your wife's phone number/line. If you activate that iPhone X with the new included nano-SIM, your wife's current nano-SIM will deactivate!

My personal view would be to take out both of the new nano-SIMs from the iPhone X units before you power either of them on. Just reuse your existing nano-SIM, this should result in a faster activation process. All the Carriers will be slammed on Friday activating new iPhone Xs. Use the same process for your Mother, reusing her existing nano-SIM.

This should save you $60 in Verizon Activation fees.

Dave

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I think its tied to the line used to purchase it. I have a similar situation myself and therefore the same question. My plan is to call Verizon when I receive the phone and state that I do not want to activate the new phone on the line it was ordered from. I will then remove the Verizon SIM that the phone is going to ship with BEFORE I TURN THE PHONE ON FOR THE FIRST TIME. I will then put the SIM associated with my account into the phone and power on. Unless Verizon has additional instructions when you call, you should be good to go. Just in case I would do this when you both are able to go into a store if need be to sort out any issues.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Just make sure to remove the new SIM from the new iPhone 10 that your mother is going to be using. That nano-SIM is already "Parked" on your wife's phone number/line. If you activate that iPhone X with the new included nano-SIM, your wife's current nano-SIM will deactivate!

My personal view would be to take out both of the new nano-SIMs from the iPhone X units before you power either of them on. Just reuse your existing nano-SIM, this should result in a faster activation process. All the Carriers will be slammed on Friday activating new iPhone Xs. Use the same process for your Mother, reusing her existing nano-SIM.

Dave
All of this, 100%.

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008

Dave
How does not activating the new SIM, avoid activation fees if they already added the $30 fee to the phone purchase invoice?

brandonnnnnnn

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
TX
I have to do this with ATT. The only concern is the iPhone X uses a new sim. The current SIM card in the iPhone is different. I believe it is Nano and then new one is micro. Therefore, I think we will all have to call our carrier to get the micro sim in the X updated to the line you want.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008

Dave
This is what I needed, thanks so much!

DaveOP

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Okay, thanks. I'm not worried about them closing her line, more worried about when the phone powers on to be activated it activating on my wife's line on the phone to where we would have to call Verizon to reconfigure basically.
Just take the SIM out of the iPhone X that you receive, and put your mothers into it. I do this all the time on our Verizon business account and have had no issues.