question regarding white iphone parts

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by marddin, Dec 6, 2010.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I plan to purchase the white front, back panel and the white home button then do the conversion at home, but what is the point in the headphone jack and the dock connector? are those really necessary? Necessary meaning are they white or different in anyway from what I have now?

Also, if anyone has ordered parts in the past few days and received them how is the quality?

ANy help would be appreciated, thanks.

Martin.

2. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I don't know who might have parts right now but I can address your question about the Dock and Headphone jacks.

In short if you look at those parts now they are black. A true white iPhone would have these in white. So if you are trying to go for the Full Conversion look and pass it off as an Apple official White iPhone then swap them.

When I ordered my kit I didn't opt to buy those to parts. Those who have done it will tell you it's not easy. It's very easy to damage the ribbon cables.

I was having trouble with the DIY instal so I sent my phone off to have it fixed and told them since they already had it apart, go ahead and install the dock and headphone port.

Honestly, its a nice detail but totally no needed.

3. hdtravel macrumors newbie

Parts

The supply of quality parts appears to have dried up.

The parts coming in now are shoddy - light leaking from the front and/or back, glue showing, misaligned displays, poor paint jobs.

Best advice - wait a while to see if the quality of parts improves back to how it was in early November.

Do not do the conversion now.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for your honesty, its saving me money and trouble.

Anyone else bought from ifixit latley and have an input?

Thinking about just getting some white spray paint and doin it myself :eek:

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

If that's a joke: Hahaha
    If that's not a joke: DO NOT do that.

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

good lord please tell me this is a joke

7. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought the smiley would ensure my sarcasm, guess not haha.