Question regarding Windows 7 and Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pingfan59, Aug 27, 2011.

1. pingfan59 macrumors member

I am looking at running parallels 6 with Windows 7 due to having a 2011 early MBP with OS X Lion 10.7.1 as I am with the understanding that pre-windows 7 OS such as XP and Vista can't be run with OS X Lion?

Currently looking on Amazon at the following

Windows 7 Professional system builder (full dvd) as it is cheaper than the regular version, are there any restrictions on the system builder vs the retail box I am guessing as to why there is $100 difference in price.

Also for the MBP, would I need the 64 bit or 32 bit version.

I am going to be using Office 2010 professional for some BCIS classes this fall and my corporate network isn't mac friendly at the moment and I will need to be running windows to access remotely. Other than that the games I play are made for both mac and windows currently.

Any helpful suggestions on what would work best for my needs before I buy these programs would be great.

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Only true for Boot Camp native installs. Under Parallels you can install any OS, including Windows 9x.

OEM/System builder will work, but it is really not intended for use by end users. In general the only fully valid license of Windows 7 for your Mac is the full retail box.

Restrictions OEM brings with it.

1) It is intended for installation on a computer for resale. IN order to accept the license under which it is sold you have to resell the computer to a third party
    2) Once installed it is not transferable to another computer. (in this case, should you ever decide to switch from Parallels to Boot Camp you might have to ask Microsoft for more help
    3) It can't be used to install as an upgrade over Vista or XP.

FWIW retail upgrade generally sells for about the same price as OEM, but doesn't have these restrictions. You need to jump through a few hoops to get it to install on a system that does not already have XP/Vista installed, but it generally works fine.

You need to convince yourself if you would prefer to be 100% license compliant, bend the System Builder License or bend the retail upgrade license.

B

3. pingfan59 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Thanks for that info. So for my needs, would I be better off grabbing windows XP, windows 7 home, or windows 7 professional as our current computers run on windows xp at work, but I do need to have Office 2010 professional for my class.

I will probably get a 100% license product.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And if it's for work, your IT folks may have a volume license they could assign to your machine. Never hurts to ask.

B

5. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a