Question regarding Windows 7 performance MBP 13"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iceblade, Mar 6, 2011.

1. iceblade macrumors member

I am a business major, and it has come to my attention that I HAVE to use Windows for a few different programs. Rather than drop $1000 on a new computer, I thought I would boot camp my current MBP 13" (in my sig, I think its mid/late 2009).

However, I am a resource hog. I put my computers through their paces. Traditionally, I am used to Windows using more RAM than OS X, but I'm not sure if that is still the case (168k isn't enough for me, Mr. Gates)? Will my 2 gigs of RAM be sufficient to run Windows 7, newest version of office, and a stats program called SAS (sorry, unsure what it stands for. I'm new to this business stuff, just found my 'calling' a few months ago)? I will also probably have iTunes or a web browser of some kind open at the same time. I don't anticipate having Office and the stats program open at once, but maybe a business student can tell me if that is a likely possibility?

How does this setup fair for playing Guild Wars 2 (I know, no minimum specs released yet, but if you had to guess) or EVE Online? My graphics card is a GeForce(?) 9400m I believe. Currently I play Counter Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source with little issue, at acceptable levels. Can I push into the realm of more complex games (I have old Battlefield discs that might be fun to take for a spin again)?

I don't anticipate having to make these upgrades until summer or next fall, I just prefer to be (over)prepared. If I must, I can upgrade my RAM to 8 gigs... But thats going to be $100, on top of a new version of office and Windows 7 licensing costs (my school requests Windows 7 professional, specifically).

My computer is currently 18-19 months old, I usually upgrade on a 3 year rotation when I had HP hardware, but I was kind of considering pushing this computer farther, since it supposedly has better hardware. I'm not sure if that changes anything or not. Because I tend to ramble, I'm going to sum up my questions:

1. I want to run Windows 7 and the newest office program, is 2 gigs RAM enough?
    2. Is 2 gigs RAM enough to run Guildwars 2 and EVE Online with 9400m graphics card?
    3. Should I bump my RAM? I could do 8 gigs for $100 from Crucial, but thats another $100 on top of everything else. I don't want to spend that if I can help it.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I can't answer all your questions, but I can guarantee that you will be able to run Windows 7 on 2 gigs of RAM with no problems. I also use SAS Analytics Pro as well as Office 2010 and have had no trouble running it on my older MBP with 2 gigs of RAM.

How much are you partitioning? I would suggest at least 75-100 GBs if you can help it.

Obviously more RAM would be better, but 2 gigs should be able to handle Office+SAS.

3. RGSman macrumors newbie

Help

I can't even get that far! it will not run on my MBP, I have the 2011 model. I have tried everything (boot camp & parallels) Help me!

4. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Hmm, are you saying Windows 7 won't run?

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

2 gigs ram is enough for windows 7 and office, but it's a better experience to go to 4 gb or more ram.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Other folks haven't mentioned it, but at < 4 GB stick with a 32 bit Windows.

If you do upgrade to 8 GB, go with 64 bit.

Check what deals you school has for W7 and Office or just use the generic $65 Windows Pro (http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx) and $80 Office Pro Academic (http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/default.aspx).

B

7. iceblade thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, they have been very helpful!

I was planning to partition 80 gigs or so (half my internal HDD), but I'll consider bumping it to 100 gigs.

Its looking like the 8 gig upgrade may be worth it. The 64 bit is the future, obviously, and I want to be as current as possible. Besides, if that investment helps this computer last another 2 1/2, 3 1/2 years, then its probably worth it.

Good to hear that info about Office + SAS (and to hear the actual name for it!). Encouraging, in case I end up not doing the RAM upgrade immediately, or in case I end up not having the funds to do it.

The $65 W7 looks good, except its an upgrade. I've been doing some reading, and it seems that it will work, but its something of a grey field legally, is that correct? It also seems that it requires some technical work arounds? I may see what my school can offer me in terms of a full upgrade. I'm no longer as technically skilled as I used to be, and the less work arounds I have to do the better, haha.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's correct, the full retail box version is ~$300 though you can also buy it direct from Microsoft at the upgrade price ($199). http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...BB1A4B4?WT.mc_id=WOL_US_comparedetail_PROup_x

Just note that OEM/System Builder licenses are an equally gray area. Microsoft states unequivocally that a requirement to accept the license is resale of the system you install it on to an unrelated third party.

The work around to install an upgrade version cleanly isn't particularly difficult in its simplest form. Install Windows 7 once without entering a product key and then upgrade on top of that with the product key.

B

9. iceblade thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know that about OEM licenses. I doubt Microsoft will know (or care!) if I use an upgrade with the work around. If my conscience really starts bugging me, I'll buy an old version of XP or something, haha.

That workaround doesn't sound too bad then. I will probably use this technique.

Thanks everyone, you all have solved my problem!

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Wow ... when did they add that? Now what is Newegg going to do with all those OEM software packages they were selling to end-users?;)

-howard

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You mean the ones with the disclaimer:

(see the details tab on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52&cm_re=windows_7_oem-_-32-116-752-_-Product for example.) ;)

B