Question regards adding memory

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, May 27, 2016.

1. jbarley, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Ok for starters just pretend I'm referring to a PPC mac. I say this because this forum is where all my knowledgeable friends hang out, and anywhere else the most help you'll get is a rude suggestion to buy a new computer.
    My Mac Pro 1,1 as delivered reported 4GB ram total, 2GB modules in slots B1 and B2, but in fact there were 3 2GB ram modules the odd one in slot B3.
    I've added 2 more 2GB modules in slots A1 and A2, and also removed the 3rd module from slot B3.
    Now my system correctly reports 8GB total.
    My question is...
    What can I do with the single 2GB leftover module?
    I think the answer will be to purchase another similar module and install the pair, really just looking for some confirmation on this.
    BTW this MP1,1 is a really sweet machine, I just love the modular design, the way HDD's just plug in like drawers, and just how almost silent it is when running. :D

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yeah it needs to be paired. This was posted in another thread:
    [​IMG]

3. oi!, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

oi! Suspended

They do need to be installed in pairs of equal size, but as I understand it sometimes pairs from different manufacturers work and sometimes they don't.
    If you can get a very cheap stick of the same size but a different manufacturer, it might be worth the gamble, but otherwise I personally would use matched pairs.
    Can anyone else clarify / give more details?