Question Relating to MacBook Air and 3G(S) iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredrickyoon, Jun 18, 2009.

1. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have the 2nd generation MacBook Air (SSD drive). Obviously, the MacBook Air comes with only 1 USB port.

I have tons and tons of music (from my iTunes Library), movies, and iPhoto pics, and I store them on a IOMEGA eGo Portable 320 GB hard drive that I carry around with me in my back pack.

I'm trying to use the portable hard drive, plugged into the 1 USB port into the MacBook Air, and at the same time, trying to synch my 3G(S) iPhone as well.

I purchased the Belkin 4-port USB (cost around $ 30 at the Apple Store) and it runs on the 5V wall charger cord.

I connected one end of the USB cord from the IOMEGA portable hard drive to the USB port in the MacBook Air, plugged in the other end of the cable to the Belkin USB port (has 4, now 3 are remaining).

I use the iPhone cable and plug in the USB portion to the Belkin USB port and plug into the iPhone, and iTunes starts fine off of my portable hard drive, but the iPhone is not recognized and I'm not able to synch.

Is there another solution or product that's portable (like Belkin or others) that can remedy this situation?

It's frustrating and I've been trying to get some answers.

The Genius Bar at the CambridgeSide Galleria Mall was completely clueless, and I even went into the local Best Buy today.

If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Very much appreciated.

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

What did the Genius bar tell you?

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I would think you should be able to use a USB hub with no problems - you can get them from Best Buy. There's a chance though you might need to get an AC powered hub if your external drive is powered by the USB port.