Question relating to SIM locking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarshallM, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MarshallM macrumors member

Hi,

I'm just wondering if the iPhone is locked to just the network (AT&T) or the actual contract plan too? Reason for asking is for when it comes to the UK, because from my understanding of SIM technologies, SIM cards can only be locked to either a network or country. Though I'm sure Apple probably found a way around this!

Still waiting for a reply from OFCOM about the iPhone too.

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

The way they lock you to a contract, is through activation... you cannot use your iPhone (legitimatly!!) without signing up a contract... after that you can put in any O2 sim... but theres no point, cos youve just signed a contract saying you will pay £35/month for 18months!!

hope this helps

3. MarshallM thread starter macrumors member

Ah but the activation part has been successfully 'hacked' through the dodgy social security code in the US? I'm sure that would have not changed in 1.1.1, especially as there are lots of reasons for not being able to sign up for a contract - under age, credit checks, etc!

Hopefully in the UK Apple won't get away with it, especially due to tighter laws. Apple will have some way to unlock phones themselves, so that's what I'm going to play on probably.

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

I'd have to agree and hope there's something similar here in Australia too. Telstra will get the deal with Apple so I'd like to keep my current Telstra non-data account to begin with instead of signing up for a new contract with them. I won't be trying to use a different carrier or anything.

As an example, I can't imagine them not allowing pre-paid SIMs to be used, especially if kids under 16 will be using it.