Question: Restoring New Phone from Itunes 12.7 back up.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gscramble, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gscramble macrumors newbie

So i just installed the new itunes on PC. Didnt know anything about it not having app support anymore.
    I have always used itunes for my backup and restore when i get a new phone, because it is faster and ecrypted, so it saves all your passwords, and stuff.

I heard it does not backup apps anymore. So if i restore from that backup, will i lose all my app locations on my phone and will i lose all the app data?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys have.

Picking up my new phone tomorrow morning, super excited hahaha.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

The apps will just get downloaded from the AppStore but the data will remain except some specific apps that force you to sign in again like the banking apps mostly.

3. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

I’ve always used iTunes to backup as well but can confirm it works as akash.nu says, although it took ages to install the apps even though I only have a few.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The iTunes backup will reinstall your settings including your folder organization. Once that restore has completed and you finish setting up your iPhone your iPhone will then start to download all the actual apps. Obviously you want to be on WiFi for that since some apps will not download via cellular.

Important: make sure your old phone had 11.1 on it before your last backup and your X has 11.1 installed before you restore or you will get an error message saying your backup is corrupt. At least that was my experience.

5. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Agreed on the 11.1 update. Mine were not on the latest update and was giving me problems. I had to update both phones to get my backup to restore. Apps just loaded after the restore on their own