Question - Screwed Up Hard Drive Upgard - VST Connectors

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MotionxxUSxx, Oct 30, 2014.

1. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I was in the middle of my hard drive upgrade and as soon as I disconnected the IR board connector, I saw 3 little metal connectors. I knew I just broke them. Has this happened to anyone. How do I get these repaired? How much? I assume this is just for the IR sensor? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

Its almost like the pieces fell out of the connector. I wander if they broke or uncoils slide them back in. It's doesn't look like they cracked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414720124.249577.jpg

3. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

the more I look at this it seems that I may have ripped off the connector itself from the logic board. Guess I'm screwed.

5. kboller07 macrumors member

6. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

2012. Finished the install just left that connection unplugged. Installed a second Samsung pro 850 ssd. Machine is fast. The only thing that seems not be working is the IR and power light. Are these the only things controlled by this connection. If so, I don't use IR so it may not be worth fixing.

7. siroht macrumors member

Correct....those are the only 2 things that are affected. Trust me I know!! Exact same thing happened to me last week when I installed my SSD. I disconnected the IR connector as gently as possible but when I began reassembling everything is when I discovered what happened to you. I thought about soldering the wires back but when I researched and found out the only thing the connector affected were the IR and power light, I passed on that thought.

Been running ever since IR"less :) for a week now with no problems.

On a side note: Did you perform the card trick to align your SSD back in the 2 hole bracket?

8. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

saw the card trick on some videos but I was actually able to get the 2nd drive in no problem. Slid right in and did not move once seated. Installed a samsung pro 850 ssd in the upper bay and left the apple spinner in the lower bay. It was an interesting evening.

9. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Any suggestions for the rest of us on how to avoid breaking the IR sensor when upgrading?

Also, are you using your SSD in a Fusion drive arrangement or as a separate boot drive which requires managing files?

[Edit: I forgot to ask--out of curiosity, how big is your SSD?]

10. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

check out post # 3 in the link above. There is an image there where he tells you to lift from under the wires. That is probably your best bet. Check out as many videos as you can. That connector is extremely delicate. The funny thing is I never realized I had actually pulled the whole thing off the board until when I tried to reconnect the wire. I thought I just shaved off some of the metal connections.

I went with a 1TB samsung pro ssd. I'll keep everything on that drive and use the existing drive as a time machine backup. No fusion drive.

11. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Pry from underneath the connecter with some thing plastic or rubber. I used a plastic spoon to pry with and a pair of tweezers to help pull on the connector at the same time . never pull on wires.

12. Butchie-T, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

Butchie-T macrumors regular

I will be doing my upgrades today

I am installing a 2TB second drive and upgrading the Ram to 16GB. After seeing this, I be sure to tread lightly near these connectors.