Question: Security in a wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arular7, Dec 16, 2009.

1. arular7 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)

Latelly I've been using my schools wireless connection, and when I have AirPort on, I noticed that on Share tab, on Finder, I can see anothers PC's and Macs that are using the same wireless… I tried to enter on another mac and I saw some folders and documents, I was logged as a guest!

So the question here is: when I'm using AirPort, with the osx firewall, can somebody see my folders like I saw the other?

Its really annoying, since I'm using a protected network this shouldn't happening! :mad:

Thanks in advance ;)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It all depends on your settings. My recommendation, setup a separate location in your Network settings for a school specific one that you can switch to. Also check on things in your Sharing section and make sure things aren't checked when on a public wireless. I also tend to encrypt all my web traffic through a SSH tunnel, but that's me. In addition to the firewall you can use stealth mode, which gives you a small amount of extra protection.

3. arular7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

A protected network is like a castle. The high walls protect outside intruders from coming in.

But on the inside its up to the individual to lock their own house door. ;)