question: SSD helping VMFusion speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flanamac, Dec 28, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

Configuration:
    Early 2009 2.93 Ghz dual Unibody MB Pro with 8GB RAM on OS 10.6.2
    Two hard drives (one via optibay)
    VMWare 3 running Windows XP SP3

My question is related to the software Logos 4. With my setup, this software is sluggish in my opinion compared to running native Macware.

QUESTION:
    I am curious if I were to replace my main applications hard drive with an Intel 80GB SSD, would it speed up the software's responsiveness?

Please keep in mind in your response that I have already performed all the tweaks that the Logos forum Mac guys said to do; the only thing I don't have in their recommended settings is Windows 7 running instead of XP.

Thanks for any help.

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Are you maxing out your RAM while in VMWare? That's usually the first cause of slow down for me...

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Is Logos GPU intensive? Virtualization does not use the graphics card and thus are struggling with everything that does need GPU power

4. Jaap macrumors member

An SSD will improve startup times drastically

An SSD will improve startup times drastically but once your program is running it doesn't make that much of a difference (except when loading huge documents ofcourse)

On my MBA, replacing the stock 4200rpm 80GB platter with a Indillinx Barefoot controller based SSD cut the VMWare startup time in 3.

5. coast1ja macrumors 6502

Yes, you will notice a huge difference in performance. I had an OCZ Core II in a 13" 2.53 MBP and it sped up not only the bootup and shutdown times, but opening programs (and Applications) was lightning fast. Your Intel SSD should be even faster.

6. coast1ja macrumors 6502

He has 8gb of ram... I highly doubt he's maxing that out!

7. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have 2GB of RAM allocated to VMware Fusion. Something you may or may not notice is that VM3, over VM2, preallocates RAM from your Mac OS so that it is not usable by the Mac OS during VM use. I think that you can change this setting, but this is the setting I have mine on. Also, when running Logos 4, I checked the Windows task manager and it shows only 400-500MB of RAM being used of the 2GB, even with all kinds of stuff going on and open; so that isn't a problem.

I looked last night and I would need at least a 160 GB SSD since I do not want to come close to maxing out a 80GB SSD.

The cost, in my opinion, is just too high right now. Perhaps I will connect an external RAM module for expansion to 16GB on my MBPro (and I have an ocean in Arizona to sell you as well).

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

external RAM??????

9. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Said in jest, although allowing paging to an SSD second hard drive could be an alternative to too little RAM.