Question SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Maclver, May 9, 2012.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

OK I have the 2011 MBA and I have installed the 6G SSD stick from OWC and I have noticed some slow shutdowns and some light lags in certain things. My question is would I notice a difference if I switched back to my samsung ssd stick that came stock? All I do is Internet, Youtube, RSS, word, and iPhoto...

Thanks!

2. Reidan macrumors member

I just upgraded to the 240 Gb version of that SSD. I am not having any of the troubles that you list. Did you clone your old drive or install a fresh copy of Lion? I used Carbon Copy to clone my drive to a USB flash drive and then copied it back to the new drive.

3. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Just bought a 256 GB Samsung from the Bay to replace my 128GB Toshiba... couldn't afford the OWC option (and since I'm in Europe, the OWC warranty was not a very valid argument). Did that because:
    1 - i didn't have the money to get me an 240 GB OWC shipped overseas (about EUR400 inc VAT)
    2 - i've heard on various forums about sporadic issues with bootup / shutdown time, lags, etc with OWC blade SSDs.

My recommendation would be to do a clean install and/or request a replacement from OWC. They have a very good reputation of helping their customers in the US!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I do not have any problems with my OWC Aura; I would suggest perhaps repairing your disk permissions? Next I would enably TRIM if you haven't done so already.