Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heymadmat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Melbourne
I have 2 mac pro's right now and I would like to keeping one of them.

first one is Mac pro 4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Case is in excellent condition

second one is Mac pro 4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2x2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 14 GB
Case has a few scratches

So my question is can i exchange the 8core tray with the Quad-Core tray as the 8core mac pro case has a few scratches ?

Thanks Matt

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I have 2 mac pro's right now.

first one is Mac pro 4,1

second one is Mac pro 4,1

So my question is can i exchange the 8core tray with the Quad-Core tray as the 8core mac pro case has a few scratches ?

Yes, the "trays" are interchangeable. Just do it and go. :)

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I assume you got your answer, so instead of making another thread- Tesselator can you use a 2009 single board in a 2012 dual? I would assume so. If that the case I may buy a single and throw a 3.33ghz 6 on it.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I assume you got your answer, so instead of making another thread- Tesselator can you use a 2009 single board in a 2012 dual? I would assume so. If that the case I may buy a single and throw a 3.33ghz 6 on it.

You're asking me if MP4,1 daughter cards are interchangeable with MP5,1 and visa-versa?

I believe they are yes - but I'm not 100% sure and I've never done it myself. Maybe someone who has actually done this could chime in and confirm. I've read a few people saying they have done so; placing a 5,1 board in a 4,1 system so someone will likely be along shortly to supply details. :)

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
You're asking me if MP4,1 daughter cards are interchangeable with MP5,1 and visa-versa?

I believe they are yes - but I'm not 100% sure and I've never done it myself. Maybe someone who has actually done this could chime in and confirm. I've read a few people saying they have done so; placing a 5,1 board in a 4,1 system so someone will likely be along shortly to supply details. :)

Thanks.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
... can you use a 2009 single board in a 2012 dual? I would assume so. If that the case I may buy a single and throw a 3.33ghz 6 on it.
The MP model 4,1 and 5,1 have different SMC versions. If they don't match with the correct version, the fans will spin at full speed like a jet engine as confirmed in this post when the poster tried to put a 2009 CPU tray into a 2010 backplane.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

I believe there were some posts here stating that the dual cpu 5,1 machines could be transformed into a single cpu by simply removing one of the cpu assemblies and the associated RAM sticks. They warned to put a protective cover over the exposed socket so that it wouldn't become clogged with dust which would be difficult to clean out.

If someone could confirm, deny, or add additional info to this possibility I would like to hear it as well. :)

-howard

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

Yes, you are right.. You can use a single x56** processor if you want single.. but you CANNOT use a W series processor as those only work for the true quad single boards. X series are dual QPI and so if you use one.. that is perfectly fine.. but why do you want to compromise performance by using one?

But to answer your question, it can be done...

I believe there were some posts here stating that the dual cpu 5,1 machines could be transformed into a single cpu by simply removing one of the cpu assemblies and the associated RAM sticks. They warned to put a protective cover over the exposed socket so that it wouldn't become clogged with dust which would be difficult to clean out.

If someone could confirm, deny, or add additional info to this possibility I would like to hear it as well. :)

-howard

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hi,

Yes, you are right.. You can use a single x56** processor if you want single.. but you CANNOT use a W series processor as those only work for the true quad single boards. X series are dual QPI and so if you use one.. that is perfectly fine.. but why do you want to compromise performance by using one?

I don't know what was driving the OP's request ... but one solution is to upgrade his current Mac Pro to a faster 3.33GHz CPU by only having to purchase a single $1000 X5680 at this time. He could then add another $1000 upgrade CPU in the future if a dual-cpu 12 core system was desired.

Man those chips are expensive !!!

-howard

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

I don't know what was driving the OP's request ...

Well, you guys are OT from the OP's request. He wanted to know if the entire CPU/RAM Daughter-board can be swapped between any of the 4,1 machines. That answer I believe is simply a yes.

The subtopic brought up by GXPvince, was similar but wondering if the entire daughter-card could be swapped between a 4,1 and a 5,1 machine. I think the answer here is also yes but I'm not positive - thus the RFI... Unless that's what PPCMM was referring to too. ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.