Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
does anyone remember any formal annoucment by apple saying that we are no longer blocking Sprint Sims in the T-moble version?? what the heck!

back on launch day i found out that the iPhone 6 plus t-mobile had its CDMA radio on , and you could put a verizon sim card in it, and it would be a real verizon phone. here is a link to the old post.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6552532

i got this samsung galaxy on that 30 day trial for $1. I'm using it as a hotspot for my iPhone! anyway i heard
that verizon has agreed to activate every single iPhone 6 and 6 plus - no matter the DAY you bought it, and approved every single one for verizon, you can now use it, as long as its unlocked. before this you had to pull the sim from another device like my post says

so i decided to try sprint. again. my niece moved out a couple months ago. the iPhone wouldn't take it because it said the sim was invalid. well now it doesn't. it just accepted the sim . it downloaded a sprint profile. something i don't remember seeing. i saw some message about the sim card being locked. when i tried to make a telephone call, it told me that the code i have used was invalid.

however, data worked. it was just like a cellular iPad.

i would like someone else to check this out, maybe a tech blogger can try obtaining different iPhones with different iOS versions and see which iOS version stopped blocking sprint.

im also thinking that it wasn't a iOS firmware change, its just something that was changed recently at apple and maybe the iPhone contacts apple and now apple replies go ahead!

i was worried that it made it a sprint phone and i couldn't go back, but that wasn't the case, and i went back to t-mobile. i had no idea what i was going to do if it locked my phone to sprint. i would have to pay the $339 replacement fee and submit it to square trade. they aren't going to buy this sprint story, so i would have to let it soak in the bath tub

before someone replies and quotes me i want to be perfectly clear. i am only talking about the iPhone 6 and 6 plus that was sold and continues to be sold as the "Unlocked T-Mobile version" or maybe even "a verizon version" that was purchased before the SIM FREE unit.

the Sim FREE unit has always accepted sprint and verizon, because its a different model with 4 extra Spark Channels.

I'm only talking about the T-mobile version that is sold without the 4 spark channels.

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
okay i checked the videos from sept 2014 and i was mistaken, sprint always gave you data only

i was confused i was comparing ipad to iphone , im gunna have this thread deleted
it the iPad air that refuses sprint sims , the iPhone 6 allowed them for data

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.