iPad QUESTION: Time Warner Cable App - Live TV

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by taylob, Apr 23, 2013.

1. taylob macrumors newbie

I no longer live at home (with time warner cable). With the new TWC app, you can watch live tv, but only a select number of channels are available if you aren’t on a time warner network. Is there anyway to bypass this? Or make it look like I am using it from “home”?

2. taylob thread starter macrumors newbie

570 views and not a single reply...

I understand the idea of a home VPN? Would this work? Could someone explain to me like I'm 5 :D

3. taylob thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macalec macrumors 6502

Its certainly possible you could create a VPN into your home. However it is impossible to say exactly if this would work due to not knowing how the app determines if you are indeed home...

5. bwrairen macrumors 6502

MAC address of his home router.

6. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

a vpn tricks your device to thinking its connected to the TWC home network

7. vha23 macrumors newbie

also, if you try the VPN route, you realize that you'll be capped by the upload speed of your TWC connection. so if the TWC internet is capped at 2mbps upload, thats the most you'll get download regardless of your own internet speed. i'm not sure how much speed the TWC app requires, but it might not be fast enough

here is how the route would look

you --> TWC subscriber --> TWC --> TWC subscriber ---> you

the last connection is most likely the main bottleneck

8. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Is your iPad Jailbroken?

Search for and install FTW and 3G Unrestrictor from Cydia. Then setup a VPN server at home for your iPad to connect to.

Then you should be good to go.

9. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

i dont think there's a way. some channels are still blocked. i tried watch TNT during the nba playoffs on my phone and it didnt work, had to use my slingbox instead.

10. spotsphill macrumors regular

Is it checking the actual connection or the geographic location? Does it ask you for a user name and password? The reason I ask is because I use an app called LocationHolic to spoof my location for blacked out sports games. I spoof my location to be somewhere outside of the blacked out region and then use my user/pass to gain access. If you pay for TWC (and therefore have legit credentials) but you happen to be outside of the region maybe you could spoof your location to be in the TWC region so that it'll recognize you accordingly.

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

It checks for a wifi connection, if the iPad is on the same network as the router, and if the iPad is jailbroken. VPN, and the 2 cydia hacks I posted above by pass those checks.