Question to ANYONE with a 13" MacBook Pro about a problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrCheeto, Aug 27, 2009.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've had this 13" MacBook since January, it replaced another one because it was sent into apple for repairs for the SAME problem!

There's a small chance that if Apple can't fix THIS MacBook I can trade it in for a MacBook Pro 13".

My only question is if I will have this problem with the MacBook Pro too!

Problem:
    The right side of the screen doesn't want to stay closed. It looks as if the magnet in the screen and base aren't attracting each other as they were designed to. Thus when I put it in a bag it will open allowing objects inside the clamshell! AND on occasion it even wakes up! When I walk with it in my bag I can hear it open and close with each step! COME ON!

So, does ANYONE with a 13" MacBook Pro have this problem?
    Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-cOD-h-56A

2. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I had this same problem on my uMB from october. i actually brought it to the "g" bar about a month after i bought it for this. I was told by the Genius and manager that it was "within speck" and that Apple does not intend for you to have your notebook in that position. i mean come on, if it is not supposed to in that position then why are there latches period. i mean what other position would utilize the latches but that one?

so anyway, kudos to you for getting someone to try to fix it for you.

the white & black macbooks had an issue where the plastic edge of the top case would crack from the impact of the lid closing.

when they designed the unibody, seems that they got over zealous and made the magnets to week to avoid this problem. since they changed to aluminum i don't know why they needed to worry about it anymore.

so that was the result. I checked every macbook on display in 3 stores in the chicago area and every one had this to some degree.

the good news is that the 13" macbook pro does not have this problem. in fact it is one of the reasons i upgraded to the new one only 8 months after buying the uMB.

P.S. the 15" still seems to have issues in this area. I think the magnets are too close to the middle and not out to the edges enough.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

REALLY? You think the 13" MBP won't have this problem over time?! ZOMG!

4. belvdr macrumors 603

My 13" MBP doesn't. It doesn't have latches.

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Of course there's no latches, I mean the magnets seem weak or something. Watch the video in the OP

6. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I dont think so. i believe that the my macbook was this way from day one, however i did not notice it until a few weeks into it.

I venture to say that yours was the same way. Can you recall the magnets being really strong. A time where you are sure they held in that position and then weakened? or did you just notice it one day after having it awhile because you had not put it in that position yet?

to the person who posted that there are no latches.

we are talking about the Mag latches not being strong enough on the original unibody macbook to maintain there hold in a vertical position.

there were no latches on that one either they were also magnets, just faulty.

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Nope. The day I got it it also had this problem, I didn't want to have to send it in for service so I sucked it up but now that I'm carrying it around more often it just ISN'T acceptable.

They say it has to be sent in THREE times before they'll consider a trade.

8. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Neither my late '08 15" MBP nor my June '09 13" MBP have the issue. In fact my 13" is almost irritatingly difficult to open. However I always set the Macs to not wake upon lid open, just to be on the safe side.

9. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

10. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

mine seems alright but then again its only a few weeks old.

11. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Same with my 13", sometimes it can actually be difficult to open. Them magnets be strong. :)

12. Z06jerry macrumors regular

I had this exact problem with my 13" 2.4 uMB after the screen was replaced by Apple (after I received it with damage). I also had a problem with the audio chip so Apple replaced it with a 13 uMBP and it's lid closes perfectly. I don't think this problem is unique to the 13" uMB as we also have another 13" 2.0 uMB and it's lid fits perfectly. As you have discovered the closing magnet is not as effective when there is a gap. I also thought that there might be QC problem with variance with the magnets. Good luck with a resolution!

13. Z06jerry macrumors regular

How do you do that?