Question to Aussie mates (or anyone who know) ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neondeon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. neondeon macrumors newbie

I will be travelling to Australia on holidays and was wondering if anyone can help me out with a question (well 2).
    I'm going to be there for a month and would like to use my (now) unlocked iphone there with an Aussie SIM card.

Question #1: How do I get this Aussie SIM card? How does it work? Do I get this at the corner store or the mobile providers? eg? Approx cost?

Question #2: Are there any kind of data plan I can use with the iphone there? not a biggie as the main thing is voice and SMS.

Thanks in advance

2. 4hundred4tyfour macrumors member

You can go to any local 'Optus' store and get a prepaid sim card for around 30$ with 30$ credit on it. So you are really just paying for credit on the sim.

When recharging your credit with Optus you get 300mb with 30$ calls, 500mb with 50$ and 700mb with 70$ and 1000MB with $100 of calls (i think, this is just off the top of my head).

All that said i am with Optus prepaid and only spend about 50$ a month and have never run out of data credit before call credit so it should be plenty.

Optus' network is kinda crap, but it will be fine as long as your in major cities or towns. Telstra has much better 3g service and faster speeds but the data is really expensive.

hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you want to know anything else