Question to device owners

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by samdev, Jan 4, 2012.

1. samdev macrumors regular

I have a question for developers who currently own a device, either an iPhone or iPad.

Let's say you have just joined the developer program, but don't own any devices.

If you had a choice between buying either a iPhone or iPad for your first device (for developing and
    testing apps), which one would you buy and why?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Old, cheap iPod Touch. It's cheapest and requires no contract.

Remember, your test device shouldn't be your personal device. If you end up using your personal device to test things on... Well, make sure you back it up. I lost thousands and pictures because I ran beta software on my personal iPhone.

3. firewood macrumors 604

An old iPod Touch that is 1 OS generation behind would be the cheap alternative. Or an old 1st gen iPad which could be used for both iPhone and iPad app development (just change the app's plist to force iPhone 1X mode).

4. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

What kind of project do you want to tackle first? If you know you will make an iPad or universal app then grab an iPad. Otherwise get an iPod Touch.

Probably better to learn with the smaller device anyway since you have less real estate to keep up with.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd suggest an iPad, if you can afford it. iPads can run iPhone/iPod-touch apps, but not vice versa. So, with the iPad, you have the best of both worlds.

6. thedollarhunter macrumors member

Interesting...

That sounds interesting... what plist setting are you referring to?

Cheers
    MJ

7. xStep macrumors 68000

If I had a choice, I would have had an iPhone 4 and a 4S now. The thing is, that is important based on the app I just released (in my sig). There are features in it that I can't personally test because I have a 4th generation iPod touch that has limited camera features. Relying on beta testers is, lets say, unreliable.

So, it can depend on the app you are writing. For instance if you want to use accurate GPS coordinates, that narrows your choices.

If I had a choice, unlimited funds, I'd buy one of each. :D