Question to iOS7 GM users

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by xConnerIdan, Sep 17, 2013.

1. xConnerIdan macrumors member

When you installed the GM version(I assume it's the same version that Apple will release)
    When I install the release version via iTunes, would it delete the contents of my device?
    (Things like contacts,apps and music)
    I'm gonna write down all the contacts on a word file just incase...thanks for the help :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The GM is the release version. They provide that to the developers first.

3. xConnerIdan thread starter macrumors member

I know, but those that installed the gold master anyways, was the data deleted when they upgrade from iOS6?

4. BlankStar macrumors regular

Let iTunes make a back-up of your phone and you will never ever lose anything. Even it something erases the whole phone, you can always restore the back-up.

And no, it doesn't delete anything when you update. (update <--> restore)

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So when he installs the GM and iTunes then says that it cannot sync because iTunes 11.1 isn't out, what should he do?

OP, can't you just wait until tomorrow? Then it will be a simple OTA update. No hassle.

6. xConnerIdan thread starter macrumors member

So if I upgrade my iPad Mini and my iPhone 4S(Both I make backups) when installing iOS7(Public release) it won't delete anything?
    Also, would an iOS6 backup(latest version of iTunes/iPhone 4S/iPad mini software) work with iOS7 incase something happens?

----------

I'll wait, sorry for the bad word choice. I meant when I update to the public release of iOS7 when it releases, will the content of my iPad mini and iPhone 4S stay there, or will they be deleted?

7. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

You won't lose anything, your phone will restart with the new IOS and all your data will still be there.

8. xConnerIdan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! :D

9. idevSteve macrumors member

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

To be clear...don't RESTORE FROM BACK-UP after you have backed-up...simply UPDATE to the new version.

Again...DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACK-UP....:p

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

ahh ok. Yeah just update via settings in iOS. No need for iTunes. No data will be lost unless something goes wrong but you should be alright :)

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Updates to IOS would never, ever delete contacts, etc. That would be a major nightmare for Apple. Can you imagine a 100 million users that lost their contacts, music, etc?

(yes, you should always do a backup just in case)

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If you use iCloud, all your contacts should be on there. Goto www.icloud.com and look. You can always export from there if you are worried about losing contacts.

14. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, worth syncing with GMail, Hotmail, iCloud or a similar service so you don't need to worry about transferring contacts or even writing them down in Word. You can also export from Hotmail or GMail to a csv file and save this at home or somewhere like Dropbox so you have another backup away from your mail service.

15. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Call me a kamikaze, but I updated to my iPhone5 to iOS7 WITHOUT synching anything straight fron iTunes, and have not lost any data, photos, music or contacts.

16. canvasback13 macrumors regular

i restored from back up and all my info came over perfectly. I don't know why people say not to.

17. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

If you did want to update to the GM a day early like I did last week, just make sure everything is backed up and synced to iCloud.... Only downfall is you have to download your apps from your iTunes account and sync them again, and you can't sync with iTunes. But if you use Match everything is in iCloud and ready to listen to...

I got a feeling if they don't release iTunes 11.1 today and push it with iOS7 tomorrow, be ready for some slow download speeds!