Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Hi, I have a macbook and an apple wireless keyboard (the new one) and I just love the keys on them both. The macbook pro, however, does not use the same keyboard. In fact, looking at picture of the keyboard they look very uncomfortable to type with. Can anyone give me their opinion on the MPB keyboard?

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi, I have a macbook and an apple wireless keyboard (the new one) and I just love the keys on them both. The macbook pro, however, does not use the same keyboard. In fact, looking at picture of the keyboard they look very uncomfortable to type with. Can anyone give me their opinion on the MPB keyboard?

On the contrary, I find the MBP keyboards a lot better to type on than that of the MB keyboards.

If Apple had an option of having either the MBP keyboard or the standard keyboard on the MacBook, I would definitely opt for the MBP one.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I love it - personally, I prefer it to the MacBook keyboard - there's a little more travel which I find more comfortable.

RajK

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
I have had a Powerbook for 5 years, which has the same keyboard. I love it. I write and it's always had a silky-smooth feel for me. My fingers just seem to glide over the keys.

I do know it's not to everyone's tastes.

I recently got an iMac and I've been using the Apple keyboard (the slim one) and I have to say that I really like that one as well. It does have more of a tactile feel.

I currently like them both.

It may be a moot point if they redesign the keyboard on the MBP.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Uncomfortable? It's probably the same type of keyboard you've used all your life until the Macbook came out. It's rather standard, and not really uncomfortable.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I have had a Powerbook for 5 years, which has the same keyboard. I love it. I write and it's always had a silky-smooth feel for me. My fingers just seem to glide over the keys.

i agree, however i have the new wireless one and i find it difficult to type on but yeah the MBP keyboard is very nice

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Uncomfortable? It's probably the same type of keyboard you've used all your life until the Macbook came out. It's rather standard, and not really uncomfortable.

I agree... it's the same type of keyboard I've had on all my previous notebooks (not all Mac either). I like it just fine.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I love the MacBook Pro keys, some people say it's just hard to get used to but it reminds of of the vintage keyboards that were released back in the day. Haha.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I've used a variety of Apple keyboards over the years, including the thin wireless one (which I love) on my work iMac, and the MBP is the best of the bunch.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I love my MBP keyboard, I really hope they dont change it. I can't stand the MB keyboards. The MacBook keyboards look like cheap fisher price toys and I never cared for them when I tried it out at the Apple Store.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I've got my MBP for about two weeks now, and I just can't seem to get into that MBP keyboard. Not only is the click too soft, the area underneath the keys may accumulate dust and dirt while there's no way of cleaning it.

The only thing I like about the MBP keyboard is that it illuminates. The MacBook keyboard is so much more comfortable.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I have come to like them both. I am faster on the MBP keyboard, but that is because I have been using that design a lot more.

I got two of the wired aluminum keyboards, and while I wish the key stroke was a little more linear, I have come to really like them. I also have access to a macbook, which is pretty much the same as the keyboard.

I think they are both nice and comfortable, but they are each different.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have an MBP, an MB, and the external wireless keyboard. Of the 3, the MBP keyboard is my favorite, followed by the MB, then the wireless keyboard.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
The MBP one is(luckily) my favorite. I have a wired apple keyboard too and I sometimes use my GFs MB and the MBP one is just better... for me.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I also like the MBP and wired alu keyboard equally - they're very different. I like the shorter travel of the alu keyboard keys, the positive feel, and the spacing, and media buttons etc., but I like the way the MBP keys are "curved" and their texture is nicer. I'd have a hard time deciding between the two!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.