Question to those going with AT&T next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

are you doing the 12 or 18 plan with next ?

and what are your reasons

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Probably going with the 18 plan. I have no plans to upgrade to the 6S, and a two year upgrade cycle is what I usually do for hardware.

And it allows me to get the 64GB for a bit cheaper.

3. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

Going with the 12. I upgrade my phone every year anyways. The ability is nice to have. You'll never know, Apple might have a killer feature in the 6s.

4. crashzero macrumors member

crashzero

I'm leaning towards 12 just so I can upgrade to the 6s or have the phone paid off quicker if I wait the 20 months.

I've been on a 2 year upgrade cycle so this way I still have that option if I decide that the 6s isn't a worthy enough phone to upgrade to.

5. iCarabma macrumors 6502

This is what I will do as well, plus if you keep it the full 2 years no need to trade in the phone when upgrade Next or no Next.

6. Rugburn macrumors member

Next 18...

Reason: I Will be keeping my phone for years. When the next phone comes out, I will pass this phone to one of my 3 children and use the NEXT plan from their line.

I always get the new phone... they get the hand me down. This year my daughter gets to replace her iPhone 4 with my "old" 5s.

Next 18 Keeps the monthly nut lower. Good call if you will keep the phone long term.

7. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Porbably going to do the 12...I plan on paying it off quickly anyways and then sell it when the 6S comes out and make some of the money back...

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same for me. I generally keep my phones for about 18 months.

9. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

10. jbanning macrumors newbie

jbanning

It shouldn't matter too much which one you choose. I've done the Next program before and while you do have to wait a couple months into the program, you can call customer service and tell them you would like to "accelerate the payment" for the Next program. You can then just pay off the balance you owe. Worked great for me.

11. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

thinking of going with the 18 plan

i have never upgraded to an "S" line, from way back to the iphone 3g to now

iphone 6s with 2gb ram & sapphire display
    i wouldn't upgrade for that , i don't see apple changing the phone design next year

12. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

That's what I was thinking. Does it really matter which next plan you choose if you can pay off in full after 2 billing cycles? The only thing that should matter is which option can you afford every month if you want to stretch the payments out.

13. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

So if we do 18 and the 6S is has something worth upgrading for we could pay off the remaining balance. Sell the phone back to att or someone and start a new next of the 6S. Hmm not a bad idea. I've never done S models but now I'm tempted to start getting them. I'm going to be paying per month anyway I might as well get a new phone right?

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Next 12. Because $42.50 looks nicer than $35.42.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Nice chart. Need to shove that into the computer of those that say NEXT is a scam, ripoff, etc.

It is not.

16. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

I want to pre-order with Next, but I have three concerns right now:

1) No in-store pick up option for pre-orders.

2) All future orders/pre-orders will have to be with AT&T, not Apple.

3) The phones ship on the 19th, not deliver on the 19th.

17. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Incorrect.

18. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

when i first heard about the next program i thought for sure it was a scam but then i did the math and it would be stupid not to go with it, esp if youre on a mobile share value plan

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

No, it's the same price no matter which NEXT plan you pick.

20. duaneu macrumors 6502a

If that's because you have to trade the phone back to AT&T, then don't return it. Pay if off and sell it yourself. You may even get more for it that way.

21. Manny72 macrumors member

Question to those going with AT&T next

I'm going with the 18 because I plan on getting a 6plus 128gig. Then I'm going to sell my 80g I-Pod classic and 2 unlocked 4s that we have laying around on e-Bay. That'll help pay it off quicker.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

What math did you do? The price of the phone overall is the same as buying it unlocked, except... you know, it's not unlocked until the contract is up.

AT&T is just screwing everyone by ADDING $25 to your bill if you go the regular subsidized route. There's no "saving." AT&T is laughing all the way to the bank with these new plans, because now there's effectively ZERO subsidy anymore.

I can't believe everyone is falling for this NEXT thing, thinking it's a good deal! The only way this is a good thing is if you can't afford to buy the phone for e.g. $849 straight up, and would rather pay that $849 over 18 or 24 months. It's designed for Americans that put everything on credit cards. It sounds so much cheaper that way, but hey, guess what? It's not!

23. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

24. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

$849 retail is incredibly expensive even for retail. As of not too long about the retail on a 5s was $650. Going with the next plan and paying the $650 was a much better deal than signing a 2 year contract and paying an additional $600 in line fees because you lose the $25 dollar discount on top of paying the $199 for the phone plus $40 upgrade fee and tax on the $199.

25. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

What do you mean? You can't order from Apple with the ATT Next? It seems like an option on Apple's website.