Question to those of you with Plexconnect

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Nov 14, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Besides playing files not supported by Apple, what else can Plexconnect do?

Can you install icefilms etc and other video streaming like on jailbroken ATV2?

2. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

It has a nicer interface than Apple's interface, it has better subtitle support because the Plex Media Server can transcode files and stream them to the Apple TV. There is playlist support, as well. And many of the Plex plugins (e.g., TwitchTV, CBS, etc.) work. I don't use IceFilms anymore because I just get all my media via Usenet and Sickbeard.

But the best thing about PlexConnect for me is MyPlex. Any videos I find on the 'net that I want to watch later I save to my MyPlex queue and then watch them on the Apple TV via PlexConnect.

In short, PlexConnect provides an experience that is superior to Apple's own. I have a Mac Mini HPTC with Plex and XBMC, but since I installed PlexConnect I only use the Mac Mini as a Plex Server. The Apple TV does everything I need a media player to do.

3. wwohl macrumors regular

PlexConnect is just a way to access the plex library right on the apple TV. It works okay I guess. Apple TV doesn't have an app store, so getting to the plex application isn't going to happen. Plexconnect is a way to point a currently existing app (like Trailers) to the plex server in your home.

Plex has a few features. Metadata, multiple formats, some channels that work etc. All of my content is mp4 so most of it doesn't matter. I also use Subler for metadata and artwork. I personally use plex because it makes it easy to access my plex library remotely. I can pull up the plex app on my iOS devices or a browser from any laptop and view my plex content

Actually plex connect hasn't received much support from plex recently. Im pretty sure the idea was abandoned (but still works).

I was using plex connect with my apple TV but found it to be inconsistent, generate issues frequently and sometimes not show up at all.

Im currently using an iPad with the plex app installed to view content. I simply pick a movie and airplay it to the apple tv from the iPad. It works well actually and I prefer it to the plex connect experience

The best "from the couch" remote control experience with plex isn't going to come from an apple TV. If you want plex content without using an iOS device or plexconnect, you'll need to buy a Roku or Amazon TV that can have the plex app natively installed

The 2015 expected apple TV will hopefully get an app store and a native plex application. We shall see.

Either way, Plex will give you a better experience than iTunes alone when viewing content from your couch

4. roidy macrumors 6502a

PlexConnect isn't developed by the Plex team. It's developed by myself and another guy in our spare time. It has not been abandoned and receives updates and bug fixes on a pretty regular basis.

If anyone wants more information on PlexConnect the best resource is PlexConnects own forum over at the main Plex site:-

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/136-appletv-plexconnect/