question to UK users re upgrading to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andybno1, May 19, 2010.

1. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok so currently I'm on a regular Dolphin 25 package with £5 500mb data bundle..... with my upgrade due I am deffinately lookin to escape my slow 3G and upgrade to new iPhone, now beng on Orange I am findin coverage at home SUCKS!! spend more time on gprs than 3G.

so I was thinking of going to O2 as I have tested a few sims in my 3G and they seemed to do the best in my house, I have a budget of £200 saved from a redundancy payout and was looking to move and get applecare and was just after advice from peeps, I was lookin at O2's 18 month contract for £30 as I would have the same tariff as I have now but doesn't quite work with my budget.... do people think the handset price will go down?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I assume, having seen previous prices, that the price will go up, to around £500 ish, or maybe just under.

3. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

I never mentioned payg I said I have a budget of £200 and was looking at 18 month contract

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I wouldn't be surprised if the top-end iPhone hits £600 on PAYG or £329 on a £30/month contract. £ to $ is too weak and Apple's shown they are only too happy just to raise the price for the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the 32 GB iPhone goes for about $700 unsubsidized in the US. The $700 iPad goes for £600 here, so that's my reasoning.

5. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm not looking for unsubsidised I am lookin at 16gb 18 month contract.... at min O2 can offer 150 for the handset just hopin they don't raise the cost, goin by the prototype they are gonna be doing a 16gb model 32gb is too big as I just about use 50% of my 16gb 3G as is

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

You didn't mention 16 GB in your original post and if you read mine I did say I think the top-end would hit £329ish on an 18/month contract. I was just using the unsubsidised price points as my reasoning.

Anyway the 16 GB iPhone SHOULD stay below £200 on an 18/month contract.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The liklihood of the costs going up either way are very high, given the weak and atrocious economy in Europe, reflecting on the UK. Just be glad we haven't joined the Euro :cool:.

8. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

I would guess what will happen is that when the next iPhone goes on sale the 3G will be no longer be available and the choice will be the 3Gs and the new iPhone.

You might find that the 3Gs will be reduced in price once the HD, 4, 4G, G4 or whatever its called goes on sale.

If its the new iPhone that you want then I am sorry to say I don't think the price with a contract will be cheaper than the 3Gs currently is. It might even more, also the networks seam keen to get customers onto 24 month contracts. So I am sort of expecting a high price with only a 24 month contract option or maybe a 24 or 36 months contract options.

However its only my guess. Its going to be a case of waiting until we see what happens after the 7th.

Alex

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

O2 simplicity package for iPhone starts at £20 on a rolling 30 day contract with no getout fees.

If I were you I would get the above and buy either a 3gs or HD on payg and slap the simplicity card in.

10. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

its terrible not knowing lol I definately need to get away from my 3G it's just too slow and laggy when I wanna play games lol if the new iPhone is gonna take me out my budget I will have no choice to grin and bear a 3GS and look on at 4G users with envy hahaha
    like I have said twice I have a £200 limit unsubsidised is not an option

£200 budget was kinda a giveaway at what model I could aford though ;)

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

If i were you i would just buy it on Pay as you go then get a simplicity sim on O2.

12. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

try reading all my replies again :rolleyes: don't mean to sound snappy but I have said like 3 times I have a £200 budget and twice I said I am not looking at unsubstidised

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

14. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

15. JDee macrumors 6502a

16. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

oooh well that changes my budget a bit lol be losing a bit of money on my handset but it would be handy to add the extra money on top

do they do the recycling thing instore?

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No web only but a friend has used it and was all paid up inside 5 days.

18. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

cool, I guess if I applied for my PAC from orange the same day I send handset off I could get my extra money and PAC all around the same time?