Question: Updating while Jailbroken

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by antnie, May 2, 2011.

1. antnie macrumors newbie

I did a search but could not find the answer to this question.

Hello everyone. I have not jailbroken one of my devices since 2008. So I know some stuff, but there is one thing that I cant find the answer to.

Lets say I have my iphone 4 jailbroken 4.3.1 and then 4.4 comes out. Once the 4.4 jailbreak is available, how do I go from 4.3.1 JB to 4.4 JB without losing everything.

Thanks for any help.

Anthony

2. NUNsLAUGHTER92 macrumors newbie

yes pkgbackup worked for me, I upgraded from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 a couple days ago and everything got restored.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. antnie thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it leave everything the way it was or do I have to reorganize everything?

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It saves all the apps you have prior to JB. Once you JB, it d/l all your apps but it's still up to you to organize everything as you had it prior.

It's better than having to d/l everything all over again which is a PITA. (from my own experience).

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Plus it restores all your plists, etc so that you have your apps with their associated configurations, etc. Worked great for me!

6. antnie, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

antnie thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I am going to jailbreak my iPhone 4 for the first time tonight.

Is cydia better than before? I used cydia a few years back and it was super buggy, and half the time it did not work.

EDIT: iPhone auto correct fail.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Isnt Curia from way back when jailbreakme was the way to go? In any case, update to 4.3.2 and jailbreak with Redsn0w

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I think curia was an autocorrect fail for cydia.

I don't have any issues with cydia. With the download queuing I don't even see the need for jailbreak backup, you can install about everything you need in one go. I suppose backing up the settings is nice though.

9. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Will updating your phone if you have "unofficial" apps on your phone cause a problem or will they simply disappear? I want to update my FW to 4.3.2 but debating on whether I do an upgrade or a full restore. I need it to be non-JB since I want to take it back to Apple.

10. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I've always wondered about the whole "curia" thing as well.

I've never in my life used the word curia. Yet everytime I try to type cydia into my ipad or iphone, it changes it to the word curia. I thought it was supposed to be intelligent autocorrect and learn from your selections ? Or do Apple just deny the existence of the word so it won't learn it ?