Question: USB tethering --> Sharing internet?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nrwrit3r, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

So I see that the tetherme app is out for $2 and can let me tether my iphone to my computer.

The only reason I'd want a wifi hotspot is to share the internet with my parents in the car on trips (I don't own an ipad).

When using USB tethering, does it stop you from being able to share internet? Or, when you go to share internet, is it listed as a device from which you can share?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Currently the only program that allow you to create a mobile hotspot and connect multiples client to a single phone is MyWi, the $2 solution you saw today allow you to connect 1 device (PC, laptop, iPad, etc) to the phone using USB or Bluetooth

3. newrazr macrumors member

If you're on a Mac, couldn't you use TetherMe and then use the "sharing" feature in system preferences on the laptop to then share the internet connection by creating a network (similar to what you'd do with a Sprint or Verizon USB dongle)? I realize it's a lot more convoluted than just using MyWi but for the occasional use where you're in the car and multiple passengers want to share the connection for that long drive, I believe that might be a work-around.

If I understand the way TetherMe works, by using the tether function it would in essence take the place of my old Sprint USB dongle and then I could use the sharing function as I did previously to share the tethered connection. Of course bandwith would take a hit too.....

4. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean doing it through my computer.

Yes! Exactly...this is what I'm trying to do. But I don't know if the computer would recognize it as a "sharable" internet source (it has to appear on that list on the "share from" menu in order to share it).