Question using ios4- close apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orange7esq, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Orange7esq macrumors newbie

This is my first post here so be kind- lol
    I just put ios4.0 on my 3GS and I notice when I hit home button once- I leave the app and goto the home screen like before. Now when I double tap home screen- It shows me the apps that I've run and to close them I can hold them until an x comes up- then I can close them 1 at a time. Is there a faster way to close the App?

I would prefer to close the app down the first time when hitting the home button like before. I hate having everything running in the background. Yea 1 or 2 things is good but not everything I have touched!

So I know people want multitasking- but how can I turn it off or prevent the apps from doing it?

Otherwise love the os- the phone is so much faster doing everything- especially taking a photo is lightning fast!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Welcome.

You don't need worry about apps that are in the background, because they aren't actually 'running'.

You can close apps quickly in the multitask bar (can't remember exactly how, but the little 'x's stay there and you just tap them consecutively if you want them closed.

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

The apps aren't running. Its just a history and Apple's version of the "back" button. Unless the app is doing something that one of the 7 multitasking APIs allows then it is essentially hibernating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

Its a computer term, but the concept still applies.

4. Orange7esq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

So, there is no way to prevent the phone from keeping a history of the apps I was running? Whether the apps are truly open or not- I would prefer to not have them all at the bottom requiring me to scroll through to find something. (it seems they may be draining the battery faster or I have some other memory leak)

I love the new OS- and I'm not a complainer. I'm just hoping there is a way to prevent the history of the apps when I close the apps(like in previous I would just hit the home button) Maybe they could have a setting where you can pick and choose through all your apps which ones yes/no toggle that you would want it to keep a history of.

Before i had the the iPhone, i had the a pos blackberry storm- that phone had/multitasking and/or app history- but to prevent the app from running ir being retained in the history you hold down the close button a little longer. So I was checking if there was some tip for the ios4.

Thanks guy and can't wait for the revolutionary new phone coming in only 2 weeks!!

5. OneEyedSpaniel macrumors newbie

OneEyedSpaniel

Help with ios4

hopefully someone could help answer this for me. I just d/l and installed ios4 on my 3Gs and lost all of my pictures. They will not sync up from iPhoto at this point. I even went in and manually selected the folders I would like to sync to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.