Question: What's the best program to transfer 8mm video to iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SaN NizZLe, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SaN NizZLe macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a iMac and am slowly getting used to it all. I come from using the PC all my life. My plan is to use this system to do most of my home video and photo editing. Putting my collection of videos on the computer istself and then transferring them to DVD and my portable hard drive.

I wanted to know what everyone uses to do this? What, in your opinions are the best program(s) or software package(s) out there to transfer & convert my 8mm home videos into my Mac and then iMovie?

Also, I see that the Mac App store sells the Photoshop Elements 9 program for $79.99. What does everyone thing of this? I definitely want to purchase a photoshop program for my iMac. I don't need the entire $600 edition so this might be ok.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You need a device that digitzes your 8mm video. Either a (H)DV camera that allows for video throughput or one of the Canopus digitizers. You can also look for a Digital 8 camera on ebay. You need something that gives you a digital signal via Firewire.

Photoshop elements? If you don't have to work with layers and/or masks, I'd suggest Aperture for 80 bucks from the App Store. If you need more, download GIMP, or look for Pixelmator.

I'm not a big fan of Adobe programs. They nest too deep into your system.

3. SaN NizZLe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot !!!! Once I get all of my video's in digitized, will I be able to edit them all using iMovie? I really don't want to drop $300 on Final Cut Pro as I don't need all of those pro editing tools.

I will look into Aperture also! I might have to work with layers, etc. but I was asking because I did not want to buy the $600+ version of Photoshop. I will only need edit photos and create simple projects like holiday cards, signs, etc.

:cool:

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I have a Canopus ADVC110.

I used it to digitise many hours of old VHS stuff. It's not the cheapest option but it is flexible.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's the thing I meant. I have mine for years. It's kind of a Swiss Army knife.