Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have accepted a GRA for grad school. I was talking to my advisor about the program and along the way says I will be getting a new mbp as part of grad school and gave me the choice of a 15 or 17 inch once school starts this august. I said I have no idea which one yet lol

I was totally not expecting this as my undergrad experience relied on personal and lab computers to do work but here I am getting a new computer and my own office, with a window to boot! Totally shocked. This is better than my "real" job that I just left where I was a cubicle person with no equipment.

However, is this kind of common? Do I keep it aka mine? or after I am done with the masters (in ~2 years) do I give it back? I didn't want to ask as it would appear tasteless but figure some may have been in a similar situation so what are your experiences? I know time will tell but just really baffled at it

Now I just need to figure out what to do with this mb I bought a month ago...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You should get clarification from your advisor.

My brother was "given" a 17" Powerbook when he was in grad school (full scholarship PhD) at CMU, and he had to give it back when he graduated.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Correct. Enjoy it!

I hope so!

You should get clarification from your advisor.

My brother was "given" a 17" Powerbook when he was in grad school (full scholarship PhD) at CMU, and he had to give it back when he graduated.

Hmm, I hope that isn't the case. Makes me wonder why they are giving me a new one vs one that was turned in by a graduating student

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm well I will just play it by ear I suppose. No big deal either way lol

True, and it really doesn't hurt to ask now. I would just say something like: "Hey I wasn't sure how this works..... Is the MBP a loaner as part of the program, or is it mine to keep?

I think it's better that you didn't ask right off the bat. It's almost like asking about vacation time at a job interview. :D

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Ask what the specs are and if it's yours to keep ask if you can do a paid upgrade and max her out :)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Well I did not ask for specifics as you all mentioned but I did contact my advisor about the upcoming semester and he mentioned that I will have my office and computer all set to go once I arrive, which is cool:)

I have no idea what the computer is besides it being a mbp lol

I hate shifting the convo focus to the computer as opposed to the research but dagnabit I am curious!

I would like to know if I can upgrade it/ is it mine? If it is, I would love to just donate my current laptop to my mom as she would love a computer

Guess I will find out soon enough as I hate questioning a "gift horse" in the mouth in a sense and rather just be greatful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.