Question with computer for grad school

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have accepted a GRA for grad school. I was talking to my advisor about the program and along the way says I will be getting a new mbp as part of grad school and gave me the choice of a 15 or 17 inch once school starts this august. I said I have no idea which one yet lol

I was totally not expecting this as my undergrad experience relied on personal and lab computers to do work but here I am getting a new computer and my own office, with a window to boot! Totally shocked. This is better than my "real" job that I just left where I was a cubicle person with no equipment.

However, is this kind of common? Do I keep it aka mine? or after I am done with the masters (in ~2 years) do I give it back? I didn't want to ask as it would appear tasteless but figure some may have been in a similar situation so what are your experiences? I know time will tell but just really baffled at it

Now I just need to figure out what to do with this mb I bought a month ago...

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The computer should be yours to keep after your completion. Are you at CSU?

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yep I am. So it's most likely part of the stipend they give me. If so, that is quite cool and very unexpected

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Correct. Enjoy it!

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

sell the mb and get an iPad or a bunch of In n Out hahhahaa

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

They treat you nice there. Good for you. No such offers from my university.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

You should get clarification from your advisor.

My brother was "given" a 17" Powerbook when he was in grad school (full scholarship PhD) at CMU, and he had to give it back when he graduated.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I hope so!

Hmm, I hope that isn't the case. Makes me wonder why they are giving me a new one vs one that was turned in by a graduating student

9. Surely Guest

Surely

My brother was given a brand new one as well.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hmm well I will just play it by ear I suppose. No big deal either way lol

11. Surely Guest

Surely

True, and it really doesn't hurt to ask now. I would just say something like: "Hey I wasn't sure how this works..... Is the MBP a loaner as part of the program, or is it mine to keep?

I think it's better that you didn't ask right off the bat. It's almost like asking about vacation time at a job interview. :D

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Ask what the specs are and if it's yours to keep ask if you can do a paid upgrade and max her out :)

13. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well I did not ask for specifics as you all mentioned but I did contact my advisor about the upcoming semester and he mentioned that I will have my office and computer all set to go once I arrive, which is cool:)

I have no idea what the computer is besides it being a mbp lol

I hate shifting the convo focus to the computer as opposed to the research but dagnabit I am curious!

I would like to know if I can upgrade it/ is it mine? If it is, I would love to just donate my current laptop to my mom as she would love a computer

Guess I will find out soon enough as I hate questioning a "gift horse" in the mouth in a sense and rather just be greatful