Question with formatting my 7 yr old mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littlekenneth, Jun 4, 2012.

1. littlekenneth macrumors member

Hi,

I have my mbp for a long time. In the last few weeks, the mbp has been responding slowly and sometimes the processor takes a long time to process. Internet browser freeze a lot also. So I decided to reformat my computer. I got my 1Tb harddisk to transfer my files over. since this is my first time formatting a Mac., I have a couple of questions.

1) How can I save/transfer all of my settings like password, personal info to my harddisk and later transfer back into the mac?
    2) How about my emails? how can i save/transfer back previous email back to imail?

I couldn't think of anything else at this point, can you please let me know what I should look for? and what I should prepare for? Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could get an external drive and use the free Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the entire drive to the external. Then after you do your new install you can use the Migration Assistant pointed to the external drive to move your data back.

The only issue with this method is if the slow down you are having is from some problem with your user account, that problem could get imported back to the system with Migration Assistant.

What you might try before you do all this is make a new user account on your computer then login under that account and see if you still have the slowdown problems. If you do not, that points to something in your user account specifically.

A true fresh install would involved manually moving over every file/setting from the external drive.

3. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

wondered what causes the issue? is it common on an old machine? How do people usually fix the problem?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not common. Many of us use our systems for years and even migrate data from computer to new computer over and over and never have trouble.

Hard to say what might be causing your issue. Often is is some piece of software you installed that causes the trouble.

5. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Do you know how I would be able to find the bug?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would first try what I mentioned earlier about making a second, new account and see if that fixes it.

7. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

8. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

If i log in as another username, is it possible that I can access files or web browser bookmark?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can export bookmarks from Safari and move those over. Also place anything you want to access from both accounts in the folder /Users/Shared and you can access from both accounts.

10. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

May thanks. i was able to find the share folder, but dont quite know how to export bookmark from Safari or Chrome. Can you give me further instructions?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure thing.

In Safari click on the File menu then you will see Export Bookmarks toward the bottom.

In Chrome click on the Bookmarks menu then select Bookmark Manager... at the top left of that tab click Organize... in the drop down from there you will see Export Bookmarks to HTML file.

12. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Weaselboy for the detail instruction. I will give it a try and reformat the hard disk in these few days. Thanks