Question with iTunes and External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ViperrepiV, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

Hello,

This question isn't specifically related to the MBA, but it is an issue I am sure many MBA users have come across or know how to deal with.

I recently purchased a WD passport 250gb external drive, which I have loaded up with music, vids, etc. The drive is usually not attached, but when I am at my desk I will attach it for the added media library.

What will happen when I add the music to iTunes from the external hard drive? I know it will work fine when plugged in, but what about when i'm using it away from my desk (i.e. without the external drive)? Will the music still stay in my library, but just not play (come up with the little (!) next to the file)? When I connect, will it play just fine?

I also have some music on the computer itself as well, which is already in the library. I am thinking of creating a playlist "stored on the MBA" and that way, assuming the external HD isn't connected, I can just play off that or select from that playlist and know it will be playable.

Anyways, if you have any experience, let me know! Thanks!

2. AstroHouse macrumors member

3. ViperrepiV thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that was very helpful, mostly the last section, dealing with an external HD with a portable computer.

and just FYI, I will answer my question in case anyone else deals with this issue.

and just for starters, I do not have iTunes manage my music. It is all referenced at specific locations. I have about 5-8GB of music on my air, and about 40 GB on the external, which i just put on there.

As I said before, first I made a playlist with my itunes library, currently all from the air's hard drive, called "music on my MBA." Next, with the external connected, I will drag the folder into itunes, adding it to the overall library. When the external is connected, I will browse music via my library, as all the music will be available. When I am on the go and not using the external, then virtually all the music in the library will show up as broken links (with the "!" icon). No worries. I just select the "music on my MBA" playlist, and I know that since those are all on the local HD, all of that music is available. woot.

it's all about the creative solutions. I feel like when you are using the SSD version of the air, or even the 80gb version, you need to take a "windows" approach to how you manage your HDD, since programs in OSX, such as iTunes or iPhoto, tend to be very inefficient with space by default (with the upside of not having to worry as much). But I like the control, so it works out.