[Question] Worth buying a Mac for these needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kratoz29, Sep 20, 2014.

1. kratoz29 macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I'm not a programmer, neither designer I just want to have an apple computer (portable as you can see) these are my needs:
    1. An operating system that almost has no issues and run smoothly
    2. The best power needed is what I want? Im telling this because I've said in the last point I don't want my system get slow never I want the maximum performance, i want a device that can hold on a bunch of demand games (not a gamer but if I can play something it's okay, I'm not buying it for games because is a lap) so I was searching for the 15 inch model with core i7, 16 gb of ram, and 512 ssd.
    3. Should I buy it now or the late 2014 is gonna be revolutionary (or the price of the mid is going to down?)
    Some friends are telling me that isn't worth it at all, that if I want power and efficiency I should but a normal potent PC and install it hackintosh (if osx is what I want) the design of the mac isn't something I would be interested.. At least not at all..

Why am I asking this? Because I don't know how much cost on other places but in my country the device described above costs: 2 876,068 usd so it's kinda expensive and it's my first mac I'm completely a noob but I want to get the most smoothly experience with it.
    Greetings for your help!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's always worth getting a Mac.

1 in my experience Mac OSX is the best OS I have found that's the best reason for getting a Mac.

2 that configuration will play any modern game at reasonable settings.

3 the evidence available at the moment indicates that the next update to the rMBP will not arrive until mid 2015 when broadwell chips are released. There is very little chance of any update before then.

4 hackintosh on a laptop is not easy at all and requires a lot of fiddling around to get it to work if you can find a laptop with a configuration you can install on and any OS update can cause problems.

5 all computers eventually slow down, well not really, what happens is software uses more and more resources and older computers find it more and more difficult this can not be avoided but a 4 year old macbook with an SSD will still work nearly as well as a new one so you should be good for 5 years.

Buy what you want mate if you can afford it and that's what you want to spend your money on then why not.

3. kratoz29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for for your reply I cannot understand how could I missed this point:
    How about Linux on rMBP?
    I've saw a preview of eos Freya in YouTube and it was insane (as it's tittle says) in a mac book air I hope it would be like this in the pro models.

4. bgd macrumors regular

$2,876,068 is expensive. How much does a house cost? ;)

5. hoodstrugg macrumors newbie

find it more and more difficult this can not be avoided but a 4 year old macbook with an SSD will still work nearly as well as a new one so you should be good for 5 years.[​IMG]

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

There will be no way that a 4 year old MBP will be on par with a new one CPU and GPU wise. Not even close. Maybe for a basic user that doesn't game, video edit, photo edit, with with 3D... they might not notice it, everyone else will easily tell the difference.

7. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

1. OS X runs smoothly and has little issues. It is harder to tweak than Windows, but you will get into less trouble if you keep to the basics. And you will hardly get a virus on a Mac.

2. The 15-inch MacBook Pro is a powerful laptop and it will run software very well without slowdowns. It will get slow with time, of course. However, for playing games, you have to look at the video card.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with an NVIDIA GT 750M video card, which is a good video card, and considered upper mid-range by the NotebookCheck ranking. Please have in mind that powerful video cards consume battery and get hot, and thease are probably the reasons that prevent Apple of using such video cards.

If you want a powerful laptop that is able to play games very well, then you are better off with a PC. You can find a cheaper and more powerful laptop, in terms of video performance, than a 15-inch MacBook Pro.

3. It is hard to predict.

The price of the 15-inch has already gone down a lot, so I am not sure how much it will decrease. Perhaps Apple chooses to keep the current prices or perhaps it drops the prices a little bit.

In addition, we do not know when Apple will release a new version of these laptops as well. Apple last updated the Pro line in June 2014, and, although it was not a very significant update, it was less than two months ago. Considering Apple's timeline of updates and the delay of the Intel Broadwell processor, I would not expect a new MacBook Pro before the beginning of 2015. If you take a look at the MacRumors' Buyer Guide, you will see that the MacBook Pro ranks as "Buy Now - Just Updated".

If you choose to wait for Broadwell, you may have to wait until 2015 and you may or may not get lower prices. As for improvements, I would say you will get a Broadwell processor, which is expected to have somewhat better battery life, but the performance improvements will not be anything major. RAM and SSD space will probably not change.

In which country do you live?

Now, what do you expect from your computer? What will you use it for?

A Mac will not give you the most powerful processor, nor the most powerful video card. And it will cost you a lot of money. You can get a more powerful PC for less. However, most of these PCs are made of plastic with cheap components, a not-so-great keyboard and trackpad, and so on. A quality PC made of premium materials is also expensive, although most people do not really care about it and just buy the cheapest piece of crap they can find.

If you intend to run OS X, then you must have a Mac. To run OS X on a PC is against Apple's EULA. And, quite honestly, OS X is only good because of the user experience it provides. OS X on a PC does not make sense, as it provides a poor user experience.

Do you need or want OS X? Have in mind that OS X, cool as it is, is much worse than Windows for playing games. In addition, if you run Microsoft Office, have in mind that Office for Windows is miles ahead of Office for Mac to the point they do not even look like the same product.

You can run Windows on a Mac, of course. You will have to buy a separate Windows license to do that, and that adds to the cost. You can use Boot Camp to do that, but the Windows drivers are crappy and a Mac running Windows is worse than a PC running Windows as a result. You can use a virtual machine as well, such as with Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but, in this case, you will have to buy this software as well and you will have a performance penalty when running both operating systems at once.

----------

I have seen the video. Looks nice, but nah.

Linux provides a very poor user experience. There is hardly any good software for it. No good support. And you have not tested the trackpad with it, so it will probably be nowhere as good as in OS X.

Do not buy a Mac to run Linux on it.

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Had to laugh at that post. :D