Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bassplayer1494, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassplayer1494 macrumors member

ok so my cable and internet was disconnected today. For the time being im using my neighbor's internet connection after i asked him if i could do so. Problem is, i can only get internet in my room and no where else. is there a way to tether his connection throughout my house?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you pay for your own internet so you can extend it throughout your living space at will? We have no way of knowing "if you asked your neighbor" or not- and just having seen numerous posts like these it's more likely you didn't.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ask your neighbour to reposition the wireless router to your liking.

4. tpg macrumors regular

Hi - I'm assuming you are using the signal from his wireless router?

If so, one option could be to use a laptop in your room to connect to the internet, and then share the connection via either an external wireless adapter, or by running an ethernet cable through your house.

However, you should explicitly ask your neighbour's permission to do this, especially in the first case, since you would then be extending the range of his wireless network signal.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should probably be satisfied with just having it in your bedroom. If your mother took the cable/internet out of her name it's not that difficult to get new service under the other parents' name.

6. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

ok. that works. thnx

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

For sure but since you abuse people who try and help, and have a useless thread title of "question" that you can't be bothered to edit, (don't you think almost every initial post here is a "question"?) you are unlikely to learn it here.

8. tpg macrumors regular

If I may play devil's advocate for a moment, the OP does clearly state that this is a temporary solution when he says "for the time being", so I can understand the frustration when the first reply says "why don't you pay for your own internet?".

Having said that, calling names is not the answer.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buying a wireless repeater isn't exactly temporary...

10. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

i didnt know what to put as the title. is that a big deal? im not trying to "abuse" anyone.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Using someone's internet service without permission, even temporarily, is just as unethical as pirating software, if that's what you're doing. But everyone is making a big deal about it because of your attitude toward the very people who can help you with legitimate problems.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, it is.

An example for a proper thread title: How to get a better signal from my neighbour's W-LAN? or How do I strengthen a W-LAN signal? or ...

13. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

im not really sure how long my internet is going to be down for. could be awhile

14. tpg macrumors regular

Nobody said anything about a permanent wireless repeater though. If I recall correctly, I suggested an external wireless adapter, or an ethernet cable. I have both of these lying around within easy reach, so in my opinion that would constitute a temporary solution.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My 2¢... asking your neighbor if you can use his internet connection and then extending throughout your house are two different things. Make sure you are being honest and considerate of your neighbor's generosity and not abusing his bandwidth. Just talk it out and explain your situation and what you are suggesting doing. Don't assume you have a blanket approval to use his signal.

Your neighbor is being extremely gracious
    I hope you will consider doing some chores or something nice for him/her

16. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

If i put down the neighbour's W-Lan title you guys might think im stealing internet but the other two are good

I already talked it out with him and hes cool about it. just needed a solution

did i say i was using my neighbors internet without permission? no. Im not trying to have a bad attitude towards u guys but your not giving me a choice. So stop with the morality posts and move on to other threads.

17. tpg macrumors regular

It might just be me, but I find this unnecessarily patronising. I'm sure the OP has already considered this, and does not need to be treated like a child. Whilst they disclosed their age, I would like to think that everyone here is treated like an adult (and even at 16 I would have been somewhat miffed if someone said that to me).

The fact that some people choose to call names is no reason to sink to their level.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did I say you were? No. Try to actually READ posts.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If they were being treated like an adult, I would have said to man up and pay for your own internet connection. But since they did disclose their age and situation, I made an age specific response and allowance for their age.

20. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

ok but why are you even saying "if that's what your doing". is that really necessary

I would love to pay for internet but i need this thing called a "job" which is hard to find in my town.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's necessary. If I hadn't included that, you would have jumped to the conclusion that I was assuming you were using your neighbor's internet connection without permission. I said that in response to your statement, "did i say i was going to download torrents and what not?"

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I said I understood your situation and offered you a suggestion
    I am not challenging you... no need to get defensive with me too

But while we are at it, you should not be making consecutive posts
    Either edit your post or use the multiquote function (quote with plus sign button)
    It is a violation of Forum Rules

23. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

fair enough

24. tpg macrumors regular

You know perfectly well that when I say "treat like an adult", I mean in terms of one's tone.

I do not see how your response is justified, since the situation of his family and his neighbour is between him and his parents, and is frankly none of our business. You are not in a position to tell him how to behave toward his neighbour in such a manner.

25. bassplayer1494 thread starter macrumors member

I understand. im just telling you why i cant really get a job at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.