Question....??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 8CoreWhore, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Hey,

I was wondering, if I'm downloading a video from the internet to an external HDD connected to my AEBS, does the file go straight from the router to the HDD, or does it go over the air top my wireless MBP, and then back again to the AEBS and then to the HDD?

It might be a stupid question, but I was just wondering.

Also, same question if I have a CAT5 cable between the AEBS and MBP.

Thanks. :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The video goes from the hosting site to your AEBS then to your Mac then back to the AEBS then to the USB drive attached to the AEBS. As long as your house isn't on 802.11b or something, the stuff happening in your house is so much faster than the typical download speed over the internet that it doesn't really matter.

Before eyefi and photostream, I used to get pictures off my digicams via an sd card reader. I would copy them directly to an NAS drive. Every now and then the copy would fail due to network issues. I then got in the habit of copying them to a firewire drive and then from there to the network and the issues went away. I also upgraded my router to an AEBS and I now have 802.11n which makes things like TM backup over the network go smoothly.

3. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't noticed any problems, just wondering mostly. I have the AEBS that is a few years old, so it doesn't have the "simultaneous dual-band support" of the newer ones.