Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OllieDS, Jan 14, 2012.

1. OllieDS macrumors member

Hey,

Hi I've got an iPhone 3GS which has been jailbroken so I could use it with my 3 sim (The phone was originally Orange). If I do a master reset, will this undo the jail break and go back to being Orange-Only phone? (Thats what I want it to be) And then is it safe to update?

Cheers.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Is this a factory unlocked iPhone? Don't do a master reset it will mess it up, do a restore. And yes it will still work on orange if that what is was originally

3. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what you mean, it was my Sisters phone upgrade and it was locked to Orange so I jailbroke it so I could use it with my 3 sim.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Jailbreak and unlocking are too different things! it's explained in the stickies up at the top of this section. TSX like the new avatar

5. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

I jailbroke it to unlock it lol.

Currently its a jailbroken unlocked phone.

I want it to go back to factory settings locked to Orange so I can update it and use an Orange sim in it, how can I do this?

6. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Basically I just want the iPhone back to how my Sister originally had it delivered by Orange. How can I do this?

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just restore through iTunes, and then JB if you like

@labman Thanks

8. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

So if I restore it through iTunes, and then do an 'Erase all content and data', then it will be like a brand new phone locked to Orange? If so that would be perfect.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Yes, restore then set up as new phone that's all you have to do.

10. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for your help and replies.

But out of interest, how does restoring erase the jailbreak? I've had the jailbreak on for over a year so surely my back-ups all include the jailbreak?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your backups might contact some JB visual changes but that's about it.
    If you restore and setup as new nothing will carry over. Just when itunes asks you if you want to setup as new phone or restore from backup select restore as new.
    It will then have nothing on it with your info.
    Before you do anything go to setttings/general/about and tell us your modem firmware version.
    If its 06.15.00 you will not be able to restore to stock firmware.

12. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Just looked and it says:

Modem Firmware 6.15.00 :/

Is this bad news? What do I do now?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can never restore that phone to official firmware with itunes.
    If you do you might mess up the baseband even more and it will then not recognize any sim card. The BB will end up in an inconsistent state and will need to be reflashed to the ipad version.
    You need to create a custom 5.0.1 ipsw with redsnow.
    Then put your iphone in pwned DFU mode with redsnow and after open itunes and restore it to that custom firmware you created with redsnow.
    Good luck.

14. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

wow really? :(

thats really disappointed me now, I wouldn't want to start doing all the redsnow stuff because I don't trust myself and might end up messing up the iPhone permanently :/

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Either way, you are screwed. I did try to restore to factory setting on a 3GS with 06.15 baseband. Restore went well without any error message. Itunes gave a notification that it has been restored to factory setting. However, it will not recognize the sim inside even it is original sim. So, you have to jailbreak & unlock it in order for you to use it again.

So, like others said. Once you put the 06.15 baseband on the phone, you can't go back.

16. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Looks like better safe than sorry then, will keep the jailbreak and just tell Mum (who I'm giving it to) to never update it lol. Out of curiosity, is it fixable if she goes and updates it accidentally just incase?

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, it is fixable. It is very hard to brick an Iphone, unless it is a hardware issue.

18. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool, She is getting it next week so no doubt I'll be on here in two weeks asking for help to fix and accidental update! :p

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its fixable but it will be a pain.
    If you're not comfortable with doing all the steps right and dont understand 100% what you're doing then I wouldnt attempt anything.

20. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

My Mum had a 3GS herself and kept it up to date so the latest version will be on her laptop. When she has my iPhone and goes to sync all her apps/music onto the phone, will she be given the option wether to apply the latest firmware to the phone to give her a chance to cancel and to not ask again?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will ask her as soon as she plugs it in to itunes.
    "A new iphone firmware is available for your iphone. Would you like to download and install now?"
    ***Cancell, download and install or download only?***
    Make sure she clicks the cancell and also check the little box that says dont ask me again.

[​IMG]

22. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Ok cheers! And then she can sync all her crap on yeah? Will there be any other options that I should know of? Like when it gets plugged in the first time, will it say any other options like Set Up As: or anything?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, she will be fine synching and doing everything normal with itunes.
    Just make sure she never updates or restores it with itunes.
    And never ever ever "accidentally" presses the "Erase all content and settings" on the iphone in settings/general/reset.

24. dill50 macrumors newbie

help me plz if yall know

i need hlep everytime i click on cydia it dosent do anything but go black for a min then gose back to my home screen how or what do i do to fix this plzz help