Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chevystrong90, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Chevystrong90 macrumors newbie

When i add a contact i have a option of adding a "iphone" number under a contact.

What exactly does this feature do on a 3GS?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nothing really it's just a tag. Like home work fax etc

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ehrm…actually that's a designation for iMessage. Try iMessaging someone if they are using iMessage but the contact's number is tagged as "Mobile" or something else. You'll get the green standard SMS button and not the blue iMessage button.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

not true at all. I have several friends with iPhones and their numbers are saved as "mobile" and I can iMessage just fine with them.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really?

Maybe an iOS 7 fix then? I'm on iOS 6.1 and if it's set to anything other than iPhone I can't iMessage anyone using an iPhone.

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah, I don't think the contact setting has any bearing on that. Apple just knows :p

7. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Really.

It has no bearing whatsoever on anything, just a designation for the number like said above mobile, fax, work, etc...

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Never used the iPhone label for any phone numbers and haven't had issues with iMessage working properly in any iOS (7, 6, or 5 when iMessage was introduced).

The check for whether or not someone uses iMessage is done server-side by Apple and isn't related to labels or anything like that, just the phone number or email that is associated with an Apple ID.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…OK. Thanks.

----------

I'm jailbroken and I'm using biteSMS and have been since February of last year. I know with biteSMS in the Quick Compose you have to use the country code to force it to iMessage (even US numbers) so maybe using biteSMS is what's throwing me off.

I can remember trying to message friends in the UK and Australia though on my 3GS with iOS 5 at the time and iMessage did not come up until I put in iPhone next to their number. Strange.

Thanks. I was wrong and I guess it's just my issue.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this. The only thing that determines the person imessage "account" is how they have it set up. For example, you can have imessage only associated with your email and not your phone number if you want.

settings-message-imessage-send/receive.

11. sulpfiction, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

nvm