Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shaun21gb, Nov 21, 2014.

1. shaun21gb macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys,

Just bought a G5 1.8GHz with no graphics card.

Can anybody tell me what card go's in as all the ones i have will not fit ??

I have tried the one out my other mac and the one out my 2 mac pro's but no good .

So i need help please or if anybody has one for sale at the right price.

2. repentix macrumors regular

You need a mac edition agp card.

3. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Thanks

OK thanks for the info , i think i will need to go on the hunt on the internet.:apple:

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

If you cannot find one you could try flashing a PC card. As far as I know GeForce FX 5200 is one of the easiest ones to flash, I once flashed FX 5500 which is essentially same chip as FX 5200 but with slightly higher clocks. After flashing it identified itself as FX 5200 on Mac and worked fine.

More info here: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/

But of course genuine Mac Edition for that model is the most certain.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The GEForce FX 5200 is relatively available, as this was the "stock" card in many G5 systems.

The Mac edition of this card has a blue circuit board and is passively cooled(i.e. no fan on the GPU). It will have two ports-one a standard DVI port, and the other an ADC(Apple Display Connector) port-this looks sort of like a DVI port(and actually mostly is) but has a sort of oval shape as well as "hooks" rather than screw standoffs to secure the cable.

I just checked on Ebay, and there are a couple of Mac-edition FX5200s available for $10-20

Overall, this is not a great card-especially for OS X 10.5-but is workable.

Depending on how much you want to sink into it, there are better cards available, although the Mac edition of many of them will set you back a fair bit.

Here's a full list
    http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html

I have a GEForce 6800 Ultra in one of my G5s, and have been incredibly happy with it. I paid about $50 for it(Mac edition, not flashed). As this was a build to order option, it's probably the most plentiful "high end" OEM G5 card. The Mac edition X800 and X850 generally bring well over $100. By the way, Mac edition X800 and 850s have one ADC and one DVI port(the 6800 Ultra has dual DVI).

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

An ATI Radeon 9600 XT or Pro would be good for that machine. In my opinion, they are the best balance of affordability and power for these machines. The baseline Nvidia FX5200 does not support all of the instructions that OS X Leopard uses so you would lose the translucent menu bar and some minor effects.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Good point-I just bought an XT a few minutes ago for $23 on Ebay.

I'm planning on modifying it for a Quicksilver or MDD(one of the least expensive ways to get true core image support on these computers), but it is an OEM G5 card and will drop right in and work with no trouble.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have used one to run dual monitors under Leopard with great performance.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm using a 64mb GeForce4 MX in my Quicksilver to run a 17" ADC and a 23" 1680x1050. It works okay under Leopard, but I can definitely feel at times that I'm taxing the card.

I also have a GeForce 4 Ti on the way(the second I've bought-the first was DOA) so will have to decide if I want to just drop the Ti in and have it work, or if I really want to mess with the 9600 to get it to work and keep using my ADC display. Having core image with the 9600 is really appealing for Leopard.

10. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

My DP G5 has a 9600 Pro as well, and I just put a dual monitor set-up on it. It doesn't seem to stress the system, and it works just fine.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you disable BeamSync they are very smooth on animations as well.

12. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

How do I disable that? (and how so?).

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can either use the Secrets preference pane or follow the instructions in the Leopard speed improvements guide that Intell, eyoungren, and I wrote.

14. bunnspecial, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Can you post a link to that? I've searched but seem to not be able to find it. I know Intell has talked about machine-specific "tweaks" and I'd really like to go through all of mine and do what I can.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found it

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1723868

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is it! I recommend that you read the whole thread as Intell posted some information in regards to what features are supported on certain GPUs.