Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shaun21gb, Apr 7, 2015.

1. shaun21gb macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys,

I have bought a G5 2GHZ with 3GB ram installed and running 10.5.1 leopard.

So my first plan was to strip and clean out all the years of dust and crap that builds up inside.

Next job upgrade the memory, this is where my question comes in installed are 2 x 1gb dimms and 2 x 512gb giving you a total of 3GB according to about this mac screen.
    But when i put new memory in the mac and turn it on it will only show me the old memory that was installed before the 3GB.
    I have already tried resetting my NVRAM as advised from the apple website and if that don't work it says to replace the logic boards battery(done that too) and the things still say's 3GB.

Has any body else come across this problem ?? and if so what did you do to fix this issue, or has anybody got any idea's of possible fix's.

Thanks for your time guys
    shaun21gb :apple::)

2. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

PHP:
    At first my G5 wouldn't detect newly installed RAM either. All I had to do was push in the RAM sticks more firmly into the G5, sometimes the slots can be quite stiff! That fixed it for me, at least.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My work G5 has 10gb installed, and I'll occasionally find that when I boot it up-particularly after it's been off for a while-that it will only recognize 6gb. Shutting it down then pulling and reseating the two 2gb modules always fixes it. I suspect that it's an issue of a little bit of corrosion in one of the contact, but haven't made a huge effort to track it down. As I've started to dabble in increasingly older Macs, this is an issue I've become even more conscious of both with RAM and with expansion cards.

Also, just as a reminder that G5 RAM MUST be paired correctly, with sticks of like capacity, timing, and ECC/non ECC installed in the paired slots. Otherwise, neither still will be recognized. If you view a G5 logic board, you will notice that the RAM is in two separate banks. Install your first pair with one DIMM in the top slot of the lower bank, and the second of the pair in the bottom slot of the upper bank. Build outward in pairs from here.

4. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys,

Thanks for the hints on what may be causing my little faults that i am currently having with my G5.

I will give all the tips a try and let you know what the results.

Once again thanks for the advise .

best regards
    shaun
    Sydney australia.:)

5. CountMaxMore macrumors member

CountMaxMore

I have 6Gb in my PowerMac G5 but only 4Gb Shows up and when I check the more info under memory it says they are all 1Gb though there is 2 2Gb in there and 2 1Gb does anyone know a fix to this?