Question?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gean, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gean macrumors member

Hi to all;

I going to purchase a imac 20" when the new operation system come out. I do have a question about the cd/dvd drive. Because there is no drive mechanism that come out, will it take the min disks? It not a big deal just wondering.

Another question is wired or wireless keyboard and mouse? Which on should i get? I think i want the wireless. What are some advantages/disavantages? Also i see that the wired keyboard had a usb port at each end of it, is this for other use like thumb dirves ect. Does the wireless on have it?

Any information about the bult in cam appreciate; any info about adding an external cam for security reasons.

Thank to all who reply :)

gean

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No it only takes regular sized media.

EDIT: It's a personaly choice whether you would like a wired or wireless. Just remember that wireless devices eat batteries. Yes, wired keyboards sport USB ports.

No, the wireless keyboard doesn't have USB because USB isn't a wireless protocol.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this new with the Intel Macs? On an iMac G5, Open Firmware and boot keys are all supported from a bluetooth keyboard. Wireless mouse is supported in hardware test mode and also on the bootloader menu.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Really? Single User Mode? As far as I knew, the bluetooth modual got loaded after checking for SUM. But I haven't checked, only assumed.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have no idea how it works, but the system appears to have independent firmware means of communicating at the very minimum with Apple bluetooth mice and keyboards. I'm sure Open Firmware works. Now I have to think about whether Single User Mode works. But Open Firmware and the bootloader work when nothing whatsoever is loaded from the hard drive.

EDIT: I looked this up. Reference... it seems that, briefly with early versions of Tiger, the Mac would respect the boot key to go to single user mode and then promptly stop supporting the keyboard. As this article states, I'm pretty sure this is no longer an issue. I never used a bluetooth keyboard on a Mac prior to 10.4.5 or so, however.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hrm.. but the IntelMacs don't have OF.

I'll have to investigate, but first, wait until I'm done playing LOTRO. :)

7. prs986 macrumors regular

Actually, it does. The new keyboard supports USB 2.0. And it's where I plug my iPod into.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well I'm just wrong all over today.

Yes, the wireless keyboard does support Single User Mode (fancy that!), so then my only complaint is how they eat batteries. Otherwise, it's a personal choice.

I have not tried the new keyboards other than to fiddle with one at the Apple store, but every Apple keyboard I've tried up until then has given low power warnings when a USB device other than a mouse is plugged in.

Are you useig the new ultra-flat ones? Desktop or Laptop?

EDIT: GAH! I just tried on my keyboard hanging off this MDD and a thousands times before I get low power messages. And I tried it now with a USB key and of course it works. :)

9. prs986 macrumors regular

lol its alright! I think the new wired keyboard is the first one to support USB2.0. Which is awesome because you can never have too many USB ports!

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Too true.

Corrected my earlier (incorrect) assumptions.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Some people have reported that the new keyboard will support one "high power" USB device. The problem that comes in is apparently that the Mighty Mouse is a "high power" device, and so if you are using one plugged into the keyboard, sometimes other powered devices like iPods and hard drives (the ones without power adapters, that is) may not work properly. But this doesn't seem completely consistent from person to person.

EDIT: apparently this may have to do with whether it's used with an Aluminum iMac or not. From Apple:

With the wireless keyboard, another thing to consider is that right now, you either have to get the old one (which is what I have), or wait for the new one. And also note that the new one doesn't have a numeric keypad.