Questionable Improvements to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by answer348, Oct 14, 2008.

1. answer348 macrumors member

Like every other Macrumors member, I eagerly awaited today's announcements. After absorbing the full set of details, I'm left wondering what's so great about the new MBP line:

-Is it any thinner or lighter?
    ---Maybe, but not by much.

-Is it better looking?
    ---Maybe, but not by much.

-Is it any faster (processing)?
    ---Probably, but not by much.

-Is it any more powerful (gpu)?
    ---Probably, but not by much.

-Any ground breaking features?
    ---Not really. Glass trackpad could be great, but brings along the negative of not having a dedicated button. New keyboard brings both positives and negatives. Glossy screen issue has been over-discussed.

-Reduced price?
    ---Not really.

Considering the lack of marked improvements, what compelled Jobs to even update the line? Is he really so excited about the new manufacturing process? Does he think a shiny new coat of paint will reboot MBP sales?

Maybe this update shows how good the original MBPs were.

2. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's only .05 inch thinner, but .25" wider and .22" deeper, as well as .l lb heavier. [Link]

It's a bulkier machine.

3. unclebenny macrumors newbie

I agree completely. I have been waiting to get a new 15" laptop for games/more involved school work for awhile. I was hopeful that this update would bring a new and improved MBP. Completely unremarkable is how I'd describe todays update.

I can't believe they didn't increase the resolution on the 15" MBP! I would have assumed they would have atleast offered a 1680x1050. FAIL.

I guess I wait for the 15" XPS update....

4. Fogtripper macrumors member

- The new look is hideous IMHO

- Glass trackpad/button is as useful to me as the apple mouse: not a bit.
    (I expect my buttons to act like buttons)

5. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just so surprised about how there really seems to be no impetus for this update. Why update them now? If you can't/won't boost the specs, lower the price, or provide some great new feature, then why update?

6. willw77 macrumors newbie

All of this makes me not feel so bad about buying my MBP back in June before school started, I don't see any huge, amazing improvements like everyone predicted. I actually like the design of the old MBP than the new one.

7. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for reminding me that I could have scored a free ipod and a great MBP if I had pulled the trigger a month ago!

8. gr8bob macrumors regular

The way I look at the new release is as a new platform that they are planning to base on for their future products. In a way, they're at a stage of pushing a whole new level of innovation (new manufacturing process, adoption of DisplayPort, etc.) into and re-establishing themselves as being unique, although not without certain compromises.

While there are people that doesn't take the change positively, I personally think it's a good innovation that drives the laptop (design) industry forward.

Although it's a shame of having incompatibilities with older equipments, the only feasible thing to do for old technology is to adapt, and be phased out eventually.

On the whole, I'm pretty impressed with what Apple decided to push their business direction to and it's going to be an interesting to see their future development.

9. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

10. coogee macrumors regular

From a safety standpoint I feel much more comfortable with a side access DVD drive. Many the time I've suffered microbruising from ejecting DVDs accidentally and felt them thunder into my fingers.